The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Exponential Decay

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gelokk Posted - 12/23/2005 : 05:42:06 AM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System: Win XP

Hello, I have a question regarding Origin's exponential decay fitting. I have some data that I'd like to fit, so I plot them and then change y-axis to log scale, so my graph appears as a straight line (exponential data appear as line when you plot them in log scale in the y-axis and I need my graph to look like that)

I then fit them using: Analysis - Fit Exponential Decay - First Order, but strangely the fit is a curved line and not a straight line. Shouldn't the fit be a straight line? (remember I'm using a log scale in the y-axis).

The strange thing is that if I do the same procedure manually through the Advanced Fitting Tool (i.e. define a new exponential decay function myself and fit the data), then the fit does appear as a straight line as it should.

Am I doing something wrong or is that an error of Origin's automated exponential decay fit?

Thanks very much for your help.
Antony

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gelokk Posted - 12/24/2005 : 06:20:43 AM
Hi Easwar,

Yes, that was it! You are right, it's the offset term that makes the line not straight, and I didn't have one in my defined function.

Thanks very much for your help!
easwar Posted - 12/23/2005 : 12:18:16 PM
Hi Antony,

The difference should be due to the y0 offset term. The default exp functions in Origin are of the form
y = y0 + Ampl * Exp (-x/t)
and so if you take the log, a non-zero y0 value will make the line to be not straight.

When you defined a new exp function, you probably did not have an offset term?

Easwar
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000