The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Suggestion for Origin 8

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amorris Posted - 01/26/2006 : 4:56:56 PM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5sr5
Operating System: winXP

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this, but here goes anyway.

First off, I would like to say that I really like your product. I've been using it since version 4, and it has helped me analyse lots and lots of data!

There's one thing that has always bugged me though--a lot of my time is spent renaming and labeling plots, worksheets, and worksheet columns in an attempt to keep my origin project organized. This is, according to me, a cumbersome task involving many right clicks, double ckicks, mouse repositionings, etc. For example, suppose that I have 10 columns that I want to label. I have to double click on the first column to bring up the format dialogue box, click on the bottom label box, enter my label and move the mouse up to the "OK" button. Then I have to hit "OK" on the prompt asking me if I want to display the labels. Then I have to restart this 9 more times.

It would be nice if all of these actions could be accomplished without ever having the use the mouse, with a few keyboard strokes only. For example, why not have the column "label cell" displayed by default, and make it directly accessible like any of the other cells? Then I could simply enter the column label, press the "down arrow" key, and keep on entering my data. Similarly, it would be nice to be able to change a worksheet's (or graph's) name and label simply through the use of a keyboard shortcut. Or maybe a CTRL+left-click on the worksheet name could allow the name and label to be direclty entered, without using any pop-up boxes. I know that you can change the name from the project explorer, but this isn't convenient when you have 100's or worksheets or graphs in a folder, and you can't directly change labels here.

Sorry for the long post. My gripes are quite minor, but I really do feel that these few changes could make the Origin experience a lot more efficient!

Sincerely,

Alexis
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
quickkk Posted - 02/14/2006 : 5:00:46 PM
Hi Antoine,

Thanks for the link to your tool. It works great!

Alexis
couturier Posted - 02/07/2006 : 03:03:50 AM
Hi amorris
I had the same problems and made this little tool : http://www.originlab.com/FileExchange/details.aspx?fid=50".
This won't help you for your plots but it makes a good job for the columns.

Antoine Couturier

Edited by - couturier on 02/07/2006 03:05:12 AM
Mike Posted - 01/30/2006 : 11:19:07 AM
Hi Hauli:

Yes, I see your problem. If I add six plots -- 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 -- in order, they are added to the Plot List in this order: 1,6,5,4,3,2.

This is a bug and we have added it to our development database (QA 8516). It is slated to be fixed for Origin 8.

Thank you for pointing this out to us.

Mike
OriginLab

Hideo Fujii Posted - 01/30/2006 : 10:12:24 AM
Hi Alexis,

The "Next>>" and "<<Prev" buttons have been available since Origin 7.0.

--Hideo
OriginLab

hauli Posted - 01/30/2006 : 03:56:12 AM
Hi Mike!

Thank you for your answer, but I meant something else

Suppose I made three nonlinear fits und thus get three datasets NLSF1, NLSF2 and NLSF3 and I want to add them to an existing graph using the plot setup.

In the top panel of the setup they are listed in the sequence NLSF1, NLSF2 and NLSF3. When I click them subsequently and add them to the graph they are listed in the bottom panel of the setup in a mixed order (NLSF1, NLSF3 and NLSF2) because each new dataset I add is listed below the first dataset.

and the label reflects this mixed up order

I know that I can use the drag option to reorder them,
but what if one has to reorder dozens of datasets;
why cant they show up automatically in the order I added them?

Hauli

Edited by - hauli on 01/30/2006 03:59:39 AM

Edited by - hauli on 01/30/2006 07:55:11 AM
amorris Posted - 01/27/2006 : 3:12:20 PM
Hi Hideo Fujii,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Could we always do this, even in previous versions of the program? I can't believe that I didn't see this option--it still isn't the best, but it does save me a lot of clicking! Thanks,

Sincerely,
Alexis
Hideo Fujii Posted - 01/27/2006 : 10:25:00 AM
Hi Alexis

> suppose that I have 10 columns that I want to label. I have to
> double click on the first column to bring up the format dialogue box,
> click on the bottom label box, enter my label and move the mouse up
> to the "OK" button. Then I have to hit "OK" on the prompt asking
> me if I want to display the labels. Then I have to restart this
> 9 more times.

Just a small tip, but anyway this may help you a little bit...
When you double-click the first column, enter the column label,
then you can, instead of clicking OK, click "Next>>" button.
You can then continue changing the labels of the succeeding
columns.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Mike Posted - 01/27/2006 : 09:24:11 AM
Hi Hauli,

I'm not sure why this is happening. The order of the data plots in the legend should mirror the order of the plots as they are listed in the bottom panel of the Plot Setup dialog box. If it doesn't, it would seem that we have a problem.

Note that you can drag the Plot icons in the bottom panel of Plot Setup to reorder them before plotting. If you click OK and the plots don't appear in the correct order, reopen Plot Setup (just double-click on the graph layer icon), reorder the plots in the bottom panel, then delete the old legend object and add a new one (New Legend button on the Graph toolbar).

Mike
OriginLab

hauli Posted - 01/27/2006 : 07:04:22 AM
I run into the same unnecessary work renaming or relabeling graphs etc.
and I want to add something to alexis´ suggestions

when I plot for example a graph consisting of three lines (source: Data1_B, Data1_C and Data1_D) using the Plot Setup
then the sequence of the lines names in the legend is Data1_B, Data1_D and Data1_C

it takes me a lot of time to rearrange the names in the legend;
meanwhile I know some ways to avoid this, but I´d appreciate it if the right sequence would come off automatically

Hauli

amorris Posted - 01/26/2006 : 5:22:33 PM
Thanks Easwar for considering my suggestions. BTW, are you at liberty to say how the next version of Origin is coming along?
easwar Posted - 01/26/2006 : 5:09:51 PM
Hi Alexis,

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate it and will consider these suggestions for the next version.

Easwar
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000