The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to condense character space!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shangyer Posted - 01/27/2006 : 12:13:08 PM
I copied the graph to word and enlarged it and found the character space was way too big! Anyone can tell me how to condense the space in Origin!

Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 7.5
Operating System: win XP

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hideo Fujii Posted - 01/30/2006 : 10:58:16 AM
Hi shangyer,

Once a graph is pasted, the whole page becomes propotional as you resized. One possible work-around may be to separate the text labels from the plot:

1) Duplicate your graph twice.
2) In one duplicated, erase all graph elements except text labels such as axes, axis labels, and the legend by click-and-hit-Delete. Double-click the layer icon [1] to show the Plot Setup dialog, and turn off the "Show" checkbox to hide the plot.
3) In another duplicated, erase the text labels you want preseve the aspect ratio when you resized in Word.
4) Copy both duplicated to Word. Change the "layout" of the text label surface to the front of the plot. Merge them and adjust the position.

I hope this can be useful in your situation.

--Hideo
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 01/30/2006 11:14:57 AM
Mike Posted - 01/27/2006 : 4:41:28 PM
Yes.

The key here is that you need to get the proportions right in Origin before you copy the graph to Word. You can either change the page size (more complicated unless yours is a multi-layer graph) or -- if yours is a single layer graph -- just click on the graph to select the layer (click somewhere in the upper middle part and "handles" should appear around the graph layer) and drag to resize/re-proportion the layer. Make necessary adjustments to text object size and position, then copy/paste the graph to Word.

I should mention that the size of the inserted graph is a function of:
  • The Origin Page and Layer dimensions (both can be viewed/edited in the Plot Details dialog box).
  • The Origin Tools:Options:Page Copy/Export Page Settings Ratio (setting this to 100 will export the graph at 100% of Page and Layer dimensions).
  • Whatever automatic resizing Word does when you paste the graph.

You will probably have to rely on the time-tested "trial-and-error method," but a couple of tries should get you in the ballpark.

Let us know how you do.

Mike
OriginLab

Edited by - Mike on 01/27/2006 5:09:18 PM
shangyer Posted - 01/27/2006 : 3:52:44 PM
I am not sure yet, I just wanna know if there is a way to do that?
Mike Posted - 01/27/2006 : 3:15:49 PM
What would you like the final size of the graph to be in your Word DOC?

Mike
OriginLab

shangyer Posted - 01/27/2006 : 2:46:34 PM
thanks for your answer, I still could not figure out how to condense the space though!

What I did:

I followed the first two steps and I enlarged the graph width and but not height. So the character space was enlarged. What I wanna know is if there is a way to condense the space after the enlarge or if I can condense the space before I copy it.

thanks
Mike Posted - 01/27/2006 : 2:23:31 PM
Hi shangyer:

There are several ways in which you might have inserted an Origin graph into a Word document. You don't tell us how you did that and how you "enlarged" it in Word.

In general, if you follow this procedure, you should not have any problem with character spacing:
  1. From Origin, choose Edit:Copy Page.
  2. In Word, select Edit:Paste Special, choose Origin Graph Object, and click OK. This will insert an OLE-editable Origin graph into your Word DOC.
  3. If you wish to enlarge the graph object in the Word DOC, right click on the graph, choose Format:Object, and on the Size tab Scale the Height and Width proportionally.

Note that if you insert the Origin graph into Word as a picture object, then right-click on the picture object and choose Edit Picture you may well change the character spacing in your text objects. This is Word's doing and we have no control over that.

Another possibility is that you accidentally increased the horizontal dimensions of your graph or picture object by dragging one of the handles. This would definitely increase the character spacing.

If you do as I suggested and you find that you are still not getting the proper result, please send an e-mail to tech@originlab.com, explain your problem, attach your Origin graph and your Word DOC files, and include your Origin serial number. They should be able to help you sort it out.

Thanks and good luck!

Mike
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000