The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 tick labels in different language

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Claas.Nendel Posted - 02/08/2006 : 04:58:46 AM
Hi,
I'm working with the 7.5G Version. I want to create a graph for an english publication with a time x-axis, showing abbreviated months. Unfortuanetely, due to the German version, the default months are in German, showing i.e. MAI, OKT, DEZ. How can I get English abbreviations MAY, OCT, DEC without using the text option (corrupts the graph because it is based on date format)?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Claas.Nendel Posted - 02/09/2006 : 01:35:01 AM
hold it, I got it.
It required a little more sophisticated extra thinking:

1. Make the label column "label" and not "text"
2. Apply "from dataset" instead for "text from dataset" in the tick label type field
3. Persuade the first tick to go back to its initial position by copying the left boundary into the first tick position field and
4. adjust the increment, because that changed as well.

Thanks for your help, Hideo!
Claas.Nendel Posted - 02/09/2006 : 01:19:13 AM
Hi Hideo,

That was close. I changed the data format as you suggested.
1. Apply M for the first custom field in the options dialog (Misc).
2. Change the display format in the axis menue to Custom1
3. Change the data format in the data sheet from date to Custom1, then to text and then to text&numeric.

My date column now shows (6, 8, 10, 12, 2, 6, 8, ...) for what has been dates of roughly every eight weeks distance in time. The contour plot still exists :-> . I have added a text column with (Jun, Aug, Oct, Dec, Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug ...) according to the values in the former date column. But when I now apply "text from dataset" to the axis tick label type field, the labels disappear completely.
So what now?

Claas
Hideo Fujii Posted - 02/08/2006 : 4:52:01 PM
Hi Claas,

The internal representation of Month column is integer (1..12), and of the Date is double real. So, this is the reason the above method didn't work. To make it work, you have to convert its format from Date to Month by the following way. (Back up your original worksheet as you will loose full information of dates):

1) Enter M (one character) in Custom1 or Custom2 of Misc. tag in the Options dialog (Tools:Options menu) box to make a custom date format.
2) Change the "Display" format of your Date column to this new custom date format by double-clicking the column header. This will make the column 1 for Jan, 2 for Feb, etc. Click OK.
3) Change this column to Text format from Date again by double-clicking the column header
4) Again change this format from Text to Text&Numeric.

Now, you should be able to apply the above method, and there may be a better way.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Claas.Nendel Posted - 02/08/2006 : 10:36:23 AM
Thanks, Hideo, but that is exactly the problem. I tried what you suggested and the following happened: The axis range jumps to -10000 and 10000, step 2000 (before 01/06/1999 to 05/02/2002, step 2month) and thus leaves the date format for good. I can not persuade it to re-accept the date format.
Since the matrix data (we are talking about a 3D contour plot) is based on single day entries, the column format is date, not month. For better reading I want to have the x axis showing only months.

Claas
Hideo Fujii Posted - 02/08/2006 : 10:08:08 AM
Hi Claas,

> German, showing i.e. MAI, OKT, DEZ. How can I get English
> abbreviations MAY, OCT, DEC without using the text option
> (corrupts the graph because it is based on date format)?

I don't understand the last part you said that your graph corrupted because of the date format. But, anyway the following way may be the easiest work-around: (I assume your column's format is Month rather than Date)

1) Make a new worksheet, and put the English (or any language's) month names, i.e., JAN, FEB,..., DEC from row 1 to 12 of, say, column B in Data2 worksheet.

2) Double-click your X-axis to show the Axis dialog, and select Tick Labels tab.

3) In Type field, select "Text from Dataset", and select your month name column in Dataset field, in this case Data2_B.

Hope this works okay in your situation.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 02/08/2006 10:15:09 AM

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000