The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 What happened to my system color list??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fr0zensphere Posted - 11/03/2020 : 9:17:27 PM
Origin Ver. and Service Release: OriginPro 2020b (64-bit)
Operating System: Win 10 64-bit

My default color palette seems to have been deleted! Normally, I remember that the first option in the various palettes available--called "System Color List"--had 5 rows and something like 12 or even more columns. Now, this is what it looks like:

Why is it simply a replica of my custom colors??

More importantly, how do I restore that original palette?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpyang Posted - 11/05/2020 : 4:48:32 PM
We are going to prevent user from picking any built-in color list, like "System Color List" as a link for Custom colors.

CP
fr0zensphere Posted - 11/05/2020 : 3:11:17 PM
Ok I think I understand the possible causes of the issue. If one of the actions that led to this was that I filled in more than 16 colors, then maybe the software should be updated so that the user is not allowed to add more than 16 colors.

Just a suggestion. Or there could be other ways to "fool-proof" this whole thing with the colors.
snowli Posted - 11/04/2020 : 3:11:00 PM
Hello,

If you load a built-in color list from Custom > button and add more colors. It autosaves it so the More colors section will be affected.

And it happened that More colors section has a limitation of 16 colors. If there are more than 16 colors, then it couldn't show the 5 rows of different brightness of the color list.
If less than 16 colors, no such issue.

From 1st screenshot, you added 5 more colors to system color list in Custom section so there are more than 16 colors. Therefore the 5 rows disappeared.

Suggestion:
After loading any built-in color list from Custom > button. Click Save as to give it a new name since we don't want to mess up with our built-in colors.
Then u can feel free to add more colors.

BTW, is there any reason why you need to load built-in color list in Custom colors?
The first N colors will be duplicate of More colors section.
Why not just clear and only create new colors needed.

Thanks, Snow
cpyang Posted - 11/04/2020 : 2:54:35 PM
Yes, the purpose is to allow you to pick one of your color list to show as Custom colors, but if you accidentally picked the same as "More colors:", then this problem happened.

As I understand the problem now, I see to fix this, you just need to delete some colors from your System Color List, make sure it does not exceed 16 colors. You can do so by going into the Increment Editor.

CP
fr0zensphere Posted - 11/04/2020 : 11:52:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by cpyang

Yes, need to pick a new location, as otherwise whatever the trouble with the Themes\Graph folder will remain.

Ah, yes, now it worked! Now this is what I see:

Ok, so what is supposed to happen if I click the "Custom" menu at the bottom and then load one of the palettes? Isn't the intended functionality here that I can create a custom color palette without affecting the original, preloaded ones? It seems that this overwrite somehow happened when I was adding new colors to the set of custom colors.
cpyang Posted - 11/04/2020 : 11:32:01 AM
Yes, need to pick a new location, as otherwise whatever the trouble with the Themes\Graph folder will remain.

CP
fr0zensphere Posted - 11/04/2020 : 11:20:35 AM
quote:

I suspect it is some issues with the user file folder, so you can reset it by

1. open script window
2. type the follow

del -path

and hit enter, then restart Origin.

No, that didn't work. Still the same situation. Should I have tried a new location of the user files folder just in case? I picked the same one as previously.
cpyang Posted - 11/04/2020 : 07:27:43 AM
I suspect it is some issues with the user file folder, so you can reset it by

1. open script window
2. type the follow

del -path

and hit enter, then restart Origin.

CP
fr0zensphere Posted - 11/04/2020 : 05:53:03 AM
quote:

You can always rename your user file folder to force Origin to ask a new location for a fresh new defaults to get you going.

What does this mean exactly?

Alternatively, should uninstalling and reinstalling fix it?
cpyang Posted - 11/04/2020 : 02:58:52 AM
I have no idea what happened on you PC, and we have never heard of this before. Yes, there should be 5 rows of variants of any color list in there. I can take a look and see under what circumstances can this happen.

You can always rename your user file folder to force Origin to ask a new location for a fresh new defaults to get you going.

CP
fr0zensphere Posted - 11/04/2020 : 12:21:26 AM
That's not a good solution. I think I would need to buy the new license, and also I'm working on a project right now and don't want to deal with the install.

The fact that this happened is absurd. There needs to be a fix.
cpyang Posted - 11/03/2020 : 11:10:24 PM
Just install 2021 and use the new Color Manager to configure your color list easily.

See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHxhrMmR-M&t=7s

CP

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000