The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3D-Plot: connect over missing datapoints

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
michael.bippes Posted - 03/08/2006 : 04:42:54 AM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): 6.0, German
Operating System: NT 4.0 SP 6

Starting from a matrix-sheet in which some fields are without data, I create an 3D-Plot with "wired-surface" (Drahtgittergeflecht). Since some data is missing, Origins sets these datapoints to zero. Thus, these datapoints are displayed in the plot as zero, that means that they are connected to the very ground and a pit appears in my plot. I already activated the "connect over missing data" (über fehlende Datenpunkte hinweg verbinden), but this did not help.

How can I avoid these pits in my plots if I have no data to fit in?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
michael.bippes Posted - 03/14/2006 : 03:04:11 AM
By a "better solution" I mean to leave the cells as missing values and not change them, but to plot a graph without dipping to zero.
easwar Posted - 03/10/2006 : 09:15:19 AM
quote:

I have been thinking about this solution, too, but I was hoping for a better solution.

Hi,

By a "better solution" do you mean you want to leave the cells as missing values and not change them, but want the plot to not dip to zero? Or do you mean an easy way to replace missing values with say average from neighbors?

Easwar
OriginLab

michael.bippes Posted - 03/10/2006 : 03:59:03 AM
Thank your for your answer. I have been thinking about this solution, too, but I was hoping for a better solution.

Is there a solution for this problem in Origin 7.5? If not, I would suggest to implement such a function to the follow-up versions of origin.
easwar Posted - 03/09/2006 : 10:40:42 AM
Hi,

The checkbox for "Connect Line Across Missing Data" is at the top graph level and it applies to all layers in a graph (other layers may exist that contain 2D data with missing values). Unfortunately it does not apply to 3D plots and this is why you are encountering the problem.

Currently there is no solution to "fix" the plot so the surface does not dip to zero.

What you could do instead, if acceptable from a data point of view, is to write some code (LabTalk script or Origin C - Origin C will be faster and has better methods to access matrix data) where the code replaces the missing values with say average of neighboring cells. Then plot the matrix and you will get a "smoother" surface.

Easwar
OriginLab

michael.bippes Posted - 03/08/2006 : 04:49:32 AM
P.S.: I just found the right expression: wireframe and coloured wireframe is what I am using.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000