The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Double y plotting and x-y axes intersection

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Subhayan_S Posted - 08/24/2023 : 4:43:04 PM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 2022 (64-bit) SR1 9.9.0.225 (Academic)
Operating System: Windows 11

Greetings,
I am trying to plot 2 graphs in a log-log plot with one y axis oriented to the top (~0 at bottom and bigger numbers towards top) and the other y axis oriented to the bottom (~0 at top and bigger numbers towards the top) while the 2 y axes meet at ~zero. But I am not able to make the 2 axes meet at 0 i.e., they are not intersecting the x-axis (lower one) at the same value. Any suggestions?
More background: I have conductivity (x-axis) vs seebeck coeff (y-axis) data that needs to be plotted in a log-log plot. Some of the seebeck data points are negative so I separated the positive and negative data pairs and took the absolute value of the negative data points and plotted both data sets in a double y graph (see the excel file attached). But is there a way to make the 2 y axes intersect the x-axis (bottom one) at the same value?

https://my.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/example_ss.xlsx

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Subhayan_S Posted - 08/25/2023 : 10:53:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Subhayan_S

quote:
Originally posted by YimingChen

The logarithm of 0 is undefined, so it's not possible to represent 0 on a log scale.

Yes of course, that is why I said ~0 (near to zero). Realistically it can be, say, 0.01
So is it possible to make the 2 y axes intersect the x axis (bottom one) at 0.01?
It does not necessarily have to be a continuous double y graph even. Is there other ways to plot it?

Update: Solved it. If anybody else is having this issue, the trick is not to use the double y plot but simply use 'symmetrical log scale' option in standard x-y plot. It will plot your negative values in log scale
Subhayan_S Posted - 08/25/2023 : 09:21:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by YimingChen

The logarithm of 0 is undefined, so it's not possible to represent 0 on a log scale.

Yes of course, that is why I said ~0 (near to zero). Realistically it can be, say, 0.01
So is it possible to make the 2 y axes intersect the x axis (bottom one) at 0.01?
It does not necessarily have to be a continuous double y graph even. Is there other ways to plot it?
YimingChen Posted - 08/25/2023 : 08:35:24 AM

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000