The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 default grid line styles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
drreaf Posted - 07/06/2007 : 3:31:53 PM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 7.5 SR6 (B885)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional

I want to permanently change the default grid line style to:

Major Grids: color=Grey, line type=Dash, thickness=0.7
Minor Grids: color=Light Grey, line type=Dot, thickness=0.5

Where do I specify these options, so that on openening the "Grid Lines" tab of a graph layer these will be the default settings offered?

Regards, Rainer Facius

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Femtosecond15 Posted - 07/28/2009 : 8:52:45 PM
Thank you guys,

the dimensions were the problem. Now the legend is back.

I find this is something the Origin could have done better. But anyway, thanks again for your quick help!
easwar Posted - 07/28/2009 : 5:17:15 PM
Hi,

If you right click on your theme in the Theme organizer and select Edit, you can view the tree.

Also check in your Theme to see if there is a node named Page: All Layers: Legend. This may then have a subnode called Dimension which may contain some fixed values for left, top etc positions.

So if this is part of your theme, the them may be forcing the legend off the page for new plots depending on what the new plot scales are.

You may then want to right click on this Legend node and select Delete to remove it from your theme. Note that you can right click and delete existing nodes/subnodes that you do not want, and also right click and add some node that you may want to add.

Easwar
OriginLab
Laurie Posted - 07/28/2009 : 5:10:28 PM
I wonder if the legend is off the page. You could zoom out of the graph to see if you see it off the printable part of the page.

You can also try to get it back by opening the Script Window (Window:Script Window) and typing the following:

legend.x=;
legend.y=;

Now position it relative to the axis coordinates, so if you graph goes from 0-10 in both X and Y, you could try the following:

legend.x=5;
legend.y=5;

Laurie

OriginLab Technical Support
Femtosecond15 Posted - 07/28/2009 : 4:57:53 PM
Mike Buess,

thanks for your help. I figured out how to manipulate the theme. Now, every graph I create looks as I would like to have it.
However, for some reason, I cannot create a legend anymore. Although it was shown on the graph I saved the theme from. Even if I select "New legend", it does not work.
Any thoughts what the problem could be?

Thanks a lot.
easwar Posted - 07/24/2009 : 4:56:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Femtosecond15

Hi Rainer,

As I understand you right, I have the same problem as you did.

Every time I generate a plot I change a hand full of settings like the font size of the axis labels, the grid settings and so on. I change the same settings each time and I was thinking that it should be possible to change the default settings for generating graphs.
For example, the default setting for the font size of the axis labels is 22 dpi. I would guess that it should be possible to change this value somewhere so that new plots always have a different font size by default.

Do somebody know if that is possible? It's kind of annoying to change the same things every single time.

Thanks.

Hi,

As Mike Buess explained in this thread a few years ago, one needs to use graph template, or theme, or change things programmatically.

All graphs are based on templates and each template may have different settings compared to another (although the ones we ship may all have same setting for some property such as labels, but that does not mean there is global control).

If there are a few graph types that you repeatedly use, then maybe what works best is to make changes to those templates and save them as your own custom/modified templates for future use.

If the above is not the case, you can use themes. Note that for example you can right click on the axis label and select Save Format as Theme. Then in the doa;pg upi cam check/uncheck boxes to decide what sort of properties (such as only font, only color etc) to include in the theme. You can display the theme tree by clicking on the Edit/Pencil button and view what is being saved. Then once such a theme (with just the desired settings) is saved, you can use the Theme Organizer dialog to combine themes to create a larger theme with all desired features, and set that as your system theme. Then the system theme attributes will apply to graphs if you have that turned on. More information about this can be found in the help files.

Easwar
OriginLab
Femtosecond15 Posted - 07/24/2009 : 1:15:32 PM
Hi Rainer,

As I understand you right, I have the same problem as you did.

Every time I generate a plot I change a hand full of settings like the font size of the axis labels, the grid settings and so on. I change the same settings each time and I was thinking that it should be possible to change the default settings for generating graphs.
For example, the default setting for the font size of the axis labels is 22 dpi. I would guess that it should be possible to change this value somewhere so that new plots always have a different font size by default.

Do somebody know if that is possible? It's kind of annoying to change the same things every single time.

Thanks.
drreaf Posted - 07/07/2007 : 09:29:32 AM
Mike:

With some additional trial and error (how to make this effective for line-, scatter-, and line&symbol- plots) I found out how to implement your template solution (1) so that it does the desired job. Your script I have copied for future application.

Thank you for your assistance, Rainer
Mike Buess Posted - 07/07/2007 : 07:56:21 AM
quote:
The present default settings which are offered to me, whenever – in whatever context – I open the “Grid Lines” tab are:

Major Grids: color=blue, line type=solid, thickness=0.5
Minor Grids: color=green, line type=Dot, thickness=0.3.

Where is this prescribed and what means do I have to alter these attributes to the ones which I prefer.
Those attributes are saved in the template. If you open a template, change the grids and save then the template is changed only with respect to grids. That was my first solution.

quote:
I want to set the desired “Grid Lines” default settings for all graphs I happen to create without having to invoke a specific theme or template.
That's impossible, however you can change the grid attributes for all graphs that already exist in the project with this LabTalk script...

doc -e LP
{
layer.x.grid.majortype=2; // dash
layer.x.grid.minortype=3; // dot
layer.x.grid.majorwidth=0.7;
layer.x.grid.minorwidth=0.5;
layer.x.grid.majorcolor=color(gray);
layer.x.grid.minorcolor=color(light gray);
layer.y.grid.majortype=2; // dash
layer.y.grid.minortype=3; // dot
layer.y.grid.majorwidth=0.7;
layer.y.grid.minorwidth=0.5;
layer.y.grid.majorcolor=color(gray);
layer.y.grid.minorcolor=color(light gray);
}

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 07/07/2007 08:35:27 AM
drreaf Posted - 07/07/2007 : 06:06:52 AM
Thank you, Mike, for pointing to these possibilities the potential of which I have so far not realized.

Nevertheless, your solutions – both of them - do much more than I really want to achieve and in doing so they actually limit their usefulness for me, e.g., by reproducing nearly every feature of the graph.

I want to set the desired “Grid Lines” default settings for all graphs I happen to create without having to invoke a specific theme or template.

The present default settings which are offered to me, whenever – in whatever context – I open the “Grid Lines” tab are:

Major Grids: color=blue, line type=solid, thickness=0.5
Minor Grids: color=green, line type=Dot, thickness=0.3.

Where is this prescribed and what means do I have to alter these attributes to the ones which I prefer.

Best regards, Rainer
Mike Buess Posted - 07/06/2007 : 5:01:52 PM
Hi Rainer,

First set the grid line properties and show or hide the grid lines as you like. Now you have two options.

1. Save the template. Your grid settings will be default for all graphs that are subsequently created from that template.

2. Right click on the graph layer and select Save Format as Theme. Give the theme a name and check the All Styles option in the Formats to Save box. Use Format> Theme Gallery to apply the theme to other graphs.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000