The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 statistic on column

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OndrejMM Posted - 07/02/2008 : 12:00:01 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a specific problem with “statistic on column”,… I think the Origin first assumes that data have normal distribution and then do the statistic on a column,… but if you check my data (see histogram below) it is apparently not normal distribution,…

so my question is whether is it possible to determine the type of distribution of the experimental data first and then do statistisc on the column with respect to determined data distribution,…???

Many thanks for your help.
Ondrej

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
OndrejMM Posted - 07/04/2008 : 12:23:08 AM
Hi Easwar,

Thanks a lot for the extensive explanation. I was puzzling what those all statistical parameters mean,… and I wasn't sure how the Origin does that statistical calculatios.

Many Thanks
Ondrej

PS: I still cannot insert an image.

easwar Posted - 07/02/2008 : 9:33:57 PM
Hi Ondrej,

The ability to upload images to the forum was broken and has been fixed. So you can try again to upload your image.

As Echo said, none of the quantities computed and reported in descriptive stats in Origin assumes any underlying distribution. For example, the mean is simply the arithmetic mean (sum of all elements divided by the number of elements).

What matters is how the results are interpreted and what informatio do the results provide, as to the nature of the underlying distribution. For example, skewness would be zero for a perfectly symmetrical distribution. A symmetrical distribution does not necessarily have to be a normal distribution by the way. So if sknewness is different from zero, one can interpret that the underlying distribution is not symmetrical. Kurtosis, which measures the peakedness of the distribution, would be zero for a perfectly normal distribution. So a value larger or smaller than zero means the distribution is more, or less peaked than a normal distribution. So the meaning of Kurtosis is tied to normal distribution, unlike skewness.

So some of the results have specific interpretation based on a normal distribution, and others do not. But again none of the computaions assume anything about the underlying distribution.

Easwar
OriginLab
OndrejMM Posted - 07/02/2008 : 6:31:24 PM
Hi Echo,

Thank you for your response,… I wanted to add my histogram but for some reason I cannot insert a image,…

anyway I really want to do only the statistic on column, but in respect to the data distribution,… I assume that e.g. “the mean” will be different if I apply normal distribution or if I apply let say lognormal distribution,… what do you think? I’m not really sure now,…

so, I would say that I need to first determine type of data distribution and then do the statistic in respect to determined distribution,…

anyway I will keep thinking,…
many thanks
Ondrej

Echo_Chu Posted - 07/02/2008 : 5:08:55 PM
Hi, Ondrej

Statistics on column is not based on any distribution assumption. But some result such as mean, skewness and kutosis make implicit assumption about the underlying distribution.

I am not sure what you want to do with you data next, if hypothesis test or ANOVA, such analysis require data are from normal distribution. I will suggest you use Non-parameter analysis insteadly

Echo
OriginLab Corp

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000