The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Stock market charting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
L007 Posted - 02/09/2009 : 12:09:15 PM
Hello

I wonder if Origin could be used for financial graphing. Origin has high-low-close among the standard options, but it lacks the basic ability to plot the basic stock graphs:

- open-high-low-close
- japanese candlesticks
- point-and-figure

Is there a way to create custom build graphs (via Origin C, SDK or something)? Are out there any plans to support types of graphs (and others)?

Thanks in advance

Origin Ver. 7.5 and Service Release SR4 (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: XP
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
L007 Posted - 02/26/2009 : 08:42:30 AM
Hi cpyang

In "classical" candlesticks, black is used for close<open and hollow for close>open. It is common, however, to use green interior / red interiors (or other colo combinations). If I understand correctly, three colours would be (in fact four combinations) a combination of filled+hollow in two colours: colour A if close(i)>close(i-1) and colour B when close(i)<close(i-1). This type of colouring is not exclusive of candlesticks but rather used with bar and even line charts.
cpyang Posted - 02/17/2009 : 05:38:18 AM
Yes, we can add candlesticks, as that is just a variation and enhancement of existing hi-lo-close plot.

Question, is there a need to have the filled/unfilled colors controlled by another variable? I see some candelsticks chart with three different filled colors, while most typical ones just one color for lower close and another for higher close.

CP
L007 Posted - 02/10/2009 : 10:39:34 AM
hi Deanna

Thanks for the workaround. Unfortunately the workaround to create candlesticks is not practical (but could be done with three floating columns) and numerical analysis would be rather difficult as well.

It would be very nice to have columns and candlesticks with variable width (width as an independent variable) and floating columns with variable width as well.

Origin is a powerful tool and would be very useful to be able to use it for financial analysis. I´m available if you want to discuss in further detail.

Thanks
Deanna Posted - 02/10/2009 : 01:17:36 AM
Hi,

These plot types are not yet supported in Origin's current version. I have submitted your suggestion to our developers. They will consider adding these graph types in future.

For now, there is a workaround in Origin 7.5/8.0 to create an open-high-low-close plot. Suppose the data is in a worksheet as follows:

Performing the steps below will create an open-high-low-close plot:
1. Create an image as follows in Windows' Paint program.

2. Copy it.
3. Go to Origin. Select Tools: Options to open the Options dialog.
4. Make the Graph tab active.
5. Select a cell under User Defined Symbols. Use CTRL+v to paste the symbol we created in step 1.
6. Click OK to close the Options dialog.
7. Highlight the first three columns in the worksheet. Select Plot: High-Low-Close from the main menu to create a high-low-close plot.
8. Activate the worksheet again. Highlight column D.
9. Activate the graph. From the main menu, choose Graph: Add Plot to Layer: Scatter. A scatter plot of the open values is added.
10. Double-click on the scatter plot to open the Plot Details dialog.
11. To the right of the dialog, make the Symbol tab active. With the drop-down list below Preview, select the symbol we created in Step 1. Set Size to 12 .Click OK.

This is the final graph:

Deanna
OriginLab Technical Services

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000