The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 binninb data

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MatthieuB Posted - 05/18/2009 : 3:51:30 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if origin provided a tool which could be used to bin data. I searched in the help files but could not find anything. When I speak of binning data I do not mean as in a histogram where a frequency is associated to the bin value. But the pre-processing technique which reduces the amount of data points by binning the data. I am not sure if I am clear but there is a video example of what I mean at the following link :

http://www.lolife.com/astronomy/starhouse/Starhouse%20Blog/F63FA055-9018-485F-A630-812AA06F9B9B.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Matt
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
easwar Posted - 05/19/2009 : 12:38:20 PM
Hi Matt,

Thank you for providing more information. Our tool currently in development was not generating an error column, so we will look into that.

I have e-mailed you with some more information and am awaiting your reply. If you do not get the e-mail, please let us know.

Easwar
OriginLab
MatthieuB Posted - 05/19/2009 : 11:15:32 AM
I believe the error is statistical error and not systematic but I am not 100% sure on that(I just found the link by googling so i believe there would be a x,y and yer column). The reason why the error is diminishing is because the points are being replaced by an average of points (taking an average obviously decreases error).

The particular purpose for which I require this data treatment does not actually have the error bars before the treatment. I am just analyzing noisy data which has many points. I would like to replace this data by fewer points which could have an error associated to them such as the standard deviation of the averaged points. I have tried replacing my data by polynomial fits but we are also interested in the derivatives at the edges of the curve. Unfortunately the poly fits tend to diverge a bit away from the curve at the edges.

I guess I could write some program in matlab to pretreat the data and then import it back into origin but I do not enjoy having to switch back and forth between programs. It would definitely be practical to incorporate this sort of data treatment in future versions of origin(at least for me).

Matt
easwar Posted - 05/18/2009 : 9:02:14 PM
Hi Matt,

Thank you for the link, we are looking into adding such data reduction capability in the next version, so this is useful/timely!

Wanted to ask you about the error bars on that movie...do you know if the error bars represent some statistical error, or there is indeed three columns x, y, yerr and the reduction takes into account the yerr as well?

Thanks,

Easwar
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000