The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Average multiple curves with different x

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ibex Posted - 06/05/2009 : 07:32:42 AM
Origin Ver. Pro 8 SR5
Operating System:Win XP

I have two curves with different X-Values. For example
x1 from 100 to 200 with 10 steps (stepsize 10)
x2 from 140 to 160 with 20 steps (stepsize 1)

I would like to average both curves and end up with x values like
100-140 stepsize 10
140-160 stepsize 1
160-200 stepsize 10
in the range where both curves have values (140-160) I would like to average with interpolated y-values of the 1st curve. Outside of this range I just want to have the Values from the 1st curve.

Using the XF "avecurves" with "avarage","Full X Range" and "linear" interpolation is almost doing the right thing, but outside of the 2nd x-range it extrapolates from the last points of the 2nd curve (and is therefor completly messing up the data).
Is there a possibility to switch of this extrapolation (I think it makes no sense there?)
Thanks
Ibex
Marko
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ibex Posted - 06/08/2009 : 04:59:14 AM
OK, here would be a procedure to solve this problem, if someone else is interested:

1)use avecurves with "Same X as source" to create correct X-Column
2)interpolate Curve 1 using new X-column
3)use avecurves with "Same X as source" with new interpolated Curve 1 and original curve 2.
easwar Posted - 06/05/2009 : 1:39:43 PM
Hi Ibex,

You are correct, apologies, it does not interpolate, we need to look into this for a future version/release. For now perhaps a programmatic solution is best.

Easwar
OriginLab
Ibex Posted - 06/05/2009 : 12:55:50 PM
Hi easwar,
I found this method in the SR5 version of avecurves and in fact it creates the right x-values (if tolerance is set to a very small value). But it does not interpolate the y-values of the curve with the larger stepsize.

In my Example above it would create a curve with the values from either the 1st or the 2nd curve and only the points 140, 150 and 160 will be averaged.
easwar Posted - 06/05/2009 : 12:07:58 PM
Hi Marko,

We have made improvements to this tool in our upcoming free SR6 release. So please try again with your data once you get SR6. The tool will have new methods and you can select the "Same as Source X" method, which does what you outlined here.

Easwar
OriginLab

Marko, this method should be available in SR5 itself, can you try?

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000