The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Graphing Multiple 3D Data Sets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
440Music Posted - 02/15/2010 : 01:17:17 AM
I'm interesting in comparing 3D graphs with one another within the same spacial volume. Origin's help gives a very very brief outline when you search for

"Displaying Multiple 3D Surfaces",

and it's the first note in the help list, but unfortunately Origin fails to say actually how to put the graphs together. Either you have to use the "Layer n" dialog box, which I've figured out how to use with one single 3D graph (which I can make), or the "Plot Setup" dialog box, which Origin says is the "newer, better" box to use, but it seems to have no way of manipulating 3D graphs.

Somewhere between having 2 sets of X,Y,and Z scatter data, turning them into matrices, and then plotting 3D surfaces I'm supposed to be able to combine the graphs. Could someone please tell me what the proper order is for this sort of thing? Should we be in the same worksheet?, Do we create the graphs before combining?, Etc.

As a last point, in the "Convert Worksheet to Matrix" dialog box, there are several different parameters that turn into different 3D graphs. All I have is scatter data and all I want Origin to do is to neatly connect all the points on a surface and try to extend the surface so I have an idea as to what the points' shape up to be.

It'd be nice to know which of

Regular, Sparse, Random ( Renka Cline, Shepard, Thin Plate Spline, Kriging Correlation, Weighted Average) is best suited for such a thing.

Thank you.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
arsk Posted - 01/23/2011 : 11:26:11 PM
Hey I am so happy that I stumbled upon this thread. I was also having a lot of doubts regarding this version of the Origin. But now I think I have a lot of knowledge regarding this. Thanks a lot to every one for posting the steps in very simple manner.

Hello
cpyang Posted - 02/27/2010 : 9:37:24 PM
There are two buttons on the top-right corner. One with left-right arrow and another with up arrow. The up arrow button allows you to open up another pabel to selection different folders.

CP
440Music Posted - 02/27/2010 : 6:15:23 PM
quote:
Here are instructions based on Origin 8.1:
Assuming you have two matrices with data corresponding to your two surfaces:
1> with one matrix active, create a plot such as 3D color map plot
2> with the graph active, double-click on the layer icon at top left - this opens the Plot Setup dialog
3> expand the top panels so you see all three panels of the dialog
4> in the top most panel select the other matrix that is not yet in the plot
5> check the box under Z in middle panel and then click Add button to add this matrix to the same layer as the existing one, click OK to close dialog

You may then need to manually set the z axes scale to include both plots. Note that both matrices are then plotted in the same graph layer.

1st of all: Thank you, except I need one thing clarified:

Step 0: Have the matrices. Check
Step 1: Create a 3D plot of one of the matrices. Check
Step 2: Open the plot setup box with this graph active via the upper left corner. Check
Step 3: Expand all the panels of the dialog box. Check
Step 4: Select the other matrix that is not yet in the plot:

No good. Upper left Panel has: 3D Line, 3D Scatter Bubble, 3D Scatter Color Mapped, 3D Scatter Bubble + Color Mapped as options.

Upper right panel has: "The Gridding used for this graph"
Under that there's X Y Z with boxes underneath them, checkable, and this can be added via the Add button in your step 5.

Therein lies the problem. The plot setup box works great, but none of the other matrices (Griddings) that are in my folder are listed. Everything is in one Origin Folder. All the data, all the matrices from the data, all the graphs made from the matrices. The Plot Setup dialog box only lists matrices for the plot that you opened the plot setup dialog box with, making it impossible to graph more than one surface on the same set of axes.
easwar Posted - 02/15/2010 : 8:45:33 PM
Hi,

Here are instructions based on Origin 8.1:
Assuming you have two matrices with data corresponding to your two surfaces:
1> with one matrix active, create a plot such as 3D color map plot
2> with the graph active, double-click on the layer icon at top left - this opens the Plot Setup dialog
3> expand the top panels so you see all three panels of the dialog
4> in the top most panel select the other matrix that is not yet in the plot
5> check the box under Z in middle panel and then click Add button to add this matrix to the same layer as the existing one, click OK to close dialog

You may then need to manually set the z axes scale to include both plots. Note that both matrices are then plotted in the same graph layer.

Easwar
OriginLab
440Music Posted - 02/15/2010 : 6:55:25 PM
quote:
we only draw one surface after the other.

That's what I want to know how to do. I'm unable to draw more than one independent surface on the same 3D set of axes.
440Music Posted - 02/15/2010 : 6:52:01 PM
Ok, I guess I was a bit misleading. I understand that the current version of Origin doesn't support "intersecting surfaces", i.e., taking two halves of a sphere and turning it into an actual sphere.

That's great. Cool. What I want to do is just display the two halves of the sphere (well, my data isn't a sphere, but anyhow).

That graph with the sphere IS AN ORIGIN GRAPH, is it not? Well that's TWO 3D GRAPHS with the SAME set of axes. On the same graph. That's all I want. Two graphs, graphed independently, displayed in the same picture.

So the both of you are referencing adding layers, which is what I thought I was supposed to do. But when you go to a 3D graph you've made and find the "Add Layer" dialog box, all of the options are 2D. All I get is a 2D set of axes on top of my 3D graph! That's rubbish!

Thanks for the notes on the graph methods.

I've been to the layer contents box and there is the Z-layer option, but that's just adding a new layer. It doesn't allow me to put the next 3D graph that I have into that layer (or does it really)? It's like you can add layers there but you can't edit them.

Here's a simpler question: Suppose you wanted to make the sphere shown in the diagram, exactly as the help diagram puts it, with no true intersection. How would you do it, given that you had the two sets of data for the two halves of the sphere? I have two sets of 3D data, and all I want to do is put them on the same graph.
greg Posted - 02/15/2010 : 1:12:35 PM
That Help item tries to explain how we do NOT support intersecting surfaces. In the sample image, if you rotated the frame you would see that there is no surface intersection and we only draw one surface after the other.

That said, you can show two surface datasets (matrices) in the same layer by using either Plot Setup or Layer Contents, both of which are accessed from the right-click context menu of the layer icon in the upper left of your graph. If you are adding an XYZ plot to a surface layer, you must use Layer Contents and select the Z dataset.

True surface intersection is planned for a future version of Origin.

For your XYZ scatter data, it sounds like you want something like the triangulation offered by Plot : Contour : XYZ Contour. I can add a request for that for possible future development.

All random gridding methods (i.e. NOT Regular and Sparse) produce algorithmic effects due to interpolation and extrapolation. The Preview in the XYZ Gridding dialog should be your guide as to which method is best suited to your data.
easwar Posted - 02/15/2010 : 12:34:02 PM
hi,

The ability to display multiple surfaces/matrices in same graph layer with proper intersection of the surfaces etc is not supported in current version, we will consider this for future version.

As for your second question, thin plate spline method will create a surface that goes thru the actual data points. To do this you must set the smoothing parameter to zero (which i think is default) and then specify desired number of points for the matrix, by setting number of rows and columns to a desired number - which will determine the density of the grid. Then you can plot the resulting matrix as a wireframe plot for example and add the raw data Z column to the same layer to verify that the data points lie on the computed surface.

Easwar
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000