The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Is there largerer error in Boundary?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
erickzhou Posted - 07/15/2010 : 09:08:00 AM
Origin Ver 8. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:winXP

I use "nonlinear surface fit" to extract the 2-D polynominal trend of my data(256*256 data points). I want to know if the error of trend fitting is worse in boundary than other position. If it is true, how can I deel with it.

Your early reply will be appreciate, thank you1
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
larry_lan Posted - 07/16/2010 : 7:21:45 PM
The more data you have, the more "power" you have to make statistical inference. There are many values you can look into to evaluate the goodness of your fit.

Thanks
Larry
erickzhou Posted - 07/16/2010 : 10:28:17 AM
Thank you! I have another question. I was told that if the data points for surface fitting is enough, the boundary error would be small. However, if the data points for surface fitting is not enough, what kind of error will emergy beside the boundary error, i.e. what factor decided the accurancy of fitting results.
larry_lan Posted - 07/15/2010 : 11:17:04 PM
Hi:

We don't support weighting in Nonlinear Surface Fitting, but you can use Nonlinear Curve Fitting instead. Surface Fitting is a special case of Nonlinear Curve Fitting (Two Independent Variables). You just need to defined a two independent variables fitting function in any Category except "Surface Fitting". The Fitting Function Organizer can help to create new fitting functions. And you can also Share a 2D fitting function in "Surface Fitting" category to any other categories.

If data on the boundary have large deviation from the fitted surface, maybe you can use Statistical weight.

Choosing a proper model and diagnose fitted result is not an easy job, maybe the following references can help:

• Bruce Bowerman, Richard T. O'Connell. 1997. "Applied Statistics: Improving Business Processes". The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

• Sanford Weisberg. 2005. "Applied Linear Regression". Third Edition. John Wiley & Son, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.

• William H. Press et al. 2002. "Numerical Recipes in C++", 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press: New York.

• Marko Ledvij. "Curve Fitting Made Easy". The Industrial Physicist. Apr./May 2003. 9:24-27.

Thanks
Larry
erickzhou Posted - 07/15/2010 : 9:36:07 PM
Some one told me that I can increase the weight of the boundary data points to overcome the problem of boundary error. But I don't know how to set the weight of data points in Origin 8, and I also don't know what weight should be set for each data point.

They also told me that if I have hundreds plus hundreds data points, the boundary error can be omitted. Is it true?

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000