The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Box chart with specifed x values

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yeke Posted - 11/25/2010 : 05:25:40 AM
Origin version 8, windows XP

Hello, I would like to generate a group of box charts on one single plot and examine the trend depends on the x value. For each box chart, there is a determined x value. But origin generates the plots automatically with same gap and does not give an option for x value input.

How can i accomplish this? Hope it is clear. Thank you!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
luser Posted - 02/16/2011 : 3:44:54 PM
I however, found your answer really helpful! It was exactly what I needed!
cpyang Posted - 11/28/2010 : 08:06:58 AM
This is not currently possible, as we have never had this request before. We can add this as a feature in the next version.

CP
yeke Posted - 11/27/2010 : 3:30:39 PM
Thanks for your reply. The problem is yet not solved. Maybe i cud demonstrate it a bit better. For example, I would like to investigate the power output (y value) of a motor on different rotation speed (x value) with box plots. The motor is run at 100rpm, 150rpm, 250rpm, 500rpm, which the neighbored x value does not share a same step. When processing the data with descriptive statistics with grouping column (as suggested by your second approach), origin generates 5 box charts on one plot. However, the gap between the box charts in x direction is same, no matter between 100rpm and 150rpm, or between 250rpm and 500rpm.

I would like to have a plot with one single x and y axis, with all of the box charts on it. Instead of sharing a same gap in x direction, the positioning of the box chart on x direction should correspond to its x numeric value.

Thank you very much.
easwar Posted - 11/26/2010 : 10:59:06 AM
Hi,

How is your data organized?

If you have multiple columns of data where the x value associated with the column is say in a header row (such as in long name or a custom header row) then selecting all the Y columns and creating a box chart does separate them and uses say the long name as label on the x axis of the plot.

If on the other hand you have one column of x values (which is your grouping variable) and another column with your raw data, then you could do the following:
1> Select the column with raw data and use menu item Statistics->Descriptive Statistics->Statistics on Columns
2> Expand the Range1 node under Input data, and then assign the column with your x values to the Grouping Range input box
3> Expand Output Reports To->Graph Arrangement node, and check the box named Arrange Plots of Same Type in One Graph
4> Expand the Plots node and check the Box Charts check box
5> Press Ok to compute

Then in the report sheet you will see one graph with your multiple box charts created using your X value as grouping variable.

If neither solution works for the way your data is arranged, send your opj to tech support using this page:
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support&pid=752

Easwar
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000