The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to find bounded area between two curves.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
xerxes Posted - 02/11/2011 : 1:30:04 PM
Origin Pro Ver8. and Service Release 3 (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: Windows 7 64 bits

I have the following two curves as shown in the picture:
The question is how do find the area bounded by the rectangle?
Fill Area is just filled up everything below the upper curve.
thanks.
Cheers
Xer

[URL=http://img822.imageshack.us/i/graph4.jpg/][/URL]
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xerxes Posted - 02/16/2011 : 09:51:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Penn

Hi Xer,

Just look at the picture you loaded, I have no idea how you add the rectangle to the graph. Maybe you can try the screen reader tool or the data reader tool to get the coordinates of the rectangle first, and then you can calculate the width and height of the rectangle by using the coordinates. With the width and height, you will get the area of rectangle by width*height.

By the way, about how to select part of data from the graph, please refer to this online help.

Penn

Hi Penn,
I try out using the data reader tool, it works, the only downside is that you can only select 1 point at a time, anyway this is not a big issue, thanks for your time in explaining the steps, you've been a great help.
thanks again
Xer
xerxes Posted - 02/13/2011 : 10:42:16 PM
quote:

Hi Xer,

Just look at the picture you loaded, I have no idea how you add the rectangle to the graph. Maybe you can try the screen reader tool or the data reader tool to get the coordinates of the rectangle first, and then you can calculate the width and height of the rectangle by using the coordinates. With the width and height, you will get the area of rectangle by width*height.

By the way, about how to select part of data from the graph, please refer to this online help.

Penn

Hi Penn,
Thanks, I will do it by finding out the rectangular co-ordinates, thanks again for your patients in explaining the details.
Cheers
Xer.
Penn Posted - 02/13/2011 : 8:59:39 PM
Hi Xer,

Penn
xerxes Posted - 02/12/2011 : 10:34:31 AM
quote:

Hi Xer,

I am not sure whether you want the area of the rectangle itself or the area between two curves.

If you want the area of the rectangle and the rectangle is a graph object. You can double click on it to open the Object Properties dialog. Then go to the Control tab to get the object name. For example, if the control name is "Rect", you can calculate the area of the rectangle in the Command Window (or Script Window) by:

Rect.dx * Rect.dy =

If you want to calculate the area between the curves, you can follow:

Note: If you want the area between the whole curves, but not part of them, please start from step 3.

1. Activate the graph, then click the Regional Data Selector button from the Toolbar to select part of one plot that you want to calculate area in the graph.

2. Repeat step 1 for another curve.

3. Select menu Analysis: Mathematics: Integrate to do integration of the selected part of data plot.

4. Repeat step 3 for another curve, you can change the Input data by clicking the triangle button to the right of Input in the open dialog.

5. In the source worksheet, two more columns are added with the integrated results. The maximum in each column is the area value under each curve.

6. To get the area between two curves of the selected part, take the difference of the two maximum values.

Penn

Hi Penn
I need the area of the rectangle ( rectangle itself is not an object)
I'm following your step 1, but how do I (select part of one plot) I really couldn't select part of one plot. when I click on regional data selector, do I hold down the left buttons and drag the cursor to select my part of one plot? If so after I release my button, there is only 1 marking indicates the end of selection. but no marking on my start of selection. how should I solve this?

Thanks
Cheers
Xer
xerxes Posted - 02/12/2011 : 10:26:31 AM
quote:

Hi Xer,

I am not sure whether you want the area of the rectangle itself or the area between two curves.

If you want the area of the rectangle and the rectangle is a graph object. You can double click on it to open the Object Properties dialog. Then go to the Control tab to get the object name. For example, if the control name is "Rect", you can calculate the area of the rectangle in the Command Window (or Script Window) by:

Rect.dx * Rect.dy =

Note: If you want the area between the whole curves, but not part of them, please start from step 3.

1. Activate the graph, then click the Regional Data Selector button from the Toolbar to select part of one plot that you want to calculate area in the graph.

3. Select menu Analysis: Mathematics: Integrate to do integration of the selected part of data plot.

4. Repeat step 3 for another curve, you can change the Input data by clicking the triangle button to the right of Input in the open dialog.

5. In the source worksheet, two more columns are added with the integrated results. The maximum in each column is the area value under each curve.

6. To get the area between two curves of the selected part, take the difference of the two maximum values.

Penn

Hi Penn,
1st of all, thanks for your help. I need to calculate the area of the rectangle, this graph is for my solar cell efficiency calculation. the upper curve is the dark current, and the lower is current after shone with light. the rectangle area is maximum power of the solar cell. I will try out your method now and update here again. thanks a millions
Cheers
Xer
Penn Posted - 02/12/2011 : 04:35:22 AM
Hi Xer,

Rect.dx * Rect.dy =

Penn
xerxes Posted - 02/12/2011 : 02:05:34 AM
]
xerxes Posted - 02/12/2011 : 01:57:09 AM
Hi Penn,
That's weird, I will repost here again using the method you just shown. thanks
Cheers
Xer
Penn Posted - 02/11/2011 : 9:04:29 PM
Hi Xer,

I cannot see your picture. Could you please make sure that the image link is available? Otherwise, you can insert the image by clicking the Insert Image button.

Penn

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000