The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Naming convention for workbook short names

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gandi Posted - 05/31/2011 : 8:16:56 PM
According to the Origin help, workbook short names (or more general, child window short names) must consist of letters and numbers only. However, it would be very useful to have a separation character (e.g. "Sample 5, 10 Kelvin" --> "S5-10K"). Dashes or underscores are suppressed, but I found that a single quote (') is accepted. It doesn't seem to cause troubles in scripts either, when a workbook with a single quote in its short name is addressed.

Still, are there any reasons not to use single quotes in child window short names?

Many thanks in advance!

-----------------------------------------------------
Origin Ver. and Service Release: Origin Pro 8.5.0 SR1
Operating System: Windows 7
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hideo Fujii Posted - 06/01/2011 : 2:11:19 PM
Hi Gandi,

Short name is not only a shorthand, but more importantly it is used as a reference in the script (either by Origin internally or by user's custom script), so I think it is safe to avoid the special characters as LabTalk as an interpreter interprets the code by substituting the strings.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Gandi Posted - 05/31/2011 : 9:38:05 PM
While using workbooks with single quotes (') in their short names, I discovered the following reproducible behaviour:

I open a new project and rename the short name of Book1 to A1'1. After entering some random data in col(A), I click "Set Column Values..." of col(B), and in the dialogue box I enter (2*col(A)). Upon clicking OK I get an errror message: "Mismatch parenthesis:(2*A1'1_A)".

Note that this error doesn't occur if I omit the outer brackets in the expression or if I name the workbook A1x1 instead of A1'1.

I assume this means that single quotes in short names of child windows should be avoided - any thoughts?

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000