The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Set Values dialogue box problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Samwise Posted - 07/12/2011 : 1:13:45 PM
Origin Ver 8.1. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): SR3
Operating System:xp

Im having problems with the Set Values dialog box. Specifically when trying to link data using Variables->Insert Range Variable when a row range is selected it is ignored.

range r1 = [workbook]"sheet"!B[4:6];

produces the same result as

range r1 = [workbook]"sheet"!B;

Alternative naming methods for column including col(num),wcol(num)when incorporated with the full path name also do not work.

Specifying a range when using just =col(C)(1) (within the same sheet) is not a problem however.

I was wondering if this was a known issue or a limitation placed on Governmental Licences and if not what is the procedure to fix the issue preferably with out resorting to programming.

Cheers, Sam
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Samwise Posted - 07/14/2011 : 03:53:03 AM
Hey Hideo,
I have tried out the work around with a set of sample data and it appears to work well!
Thanks for your time and help, Sam
Hideo Fujii Posted - 07/13/2011 : 5:31:30 PM
Hi Samwise,

As a workaround, could you please try the following?

1) in Before formula script, define like this:

range r1=[book2]sheet1!col(A)[4:8];
  range r2=1;
  r2=r1;
2) leave the formula box EMPTY

This should work with no need of adding a zero etc. for the numbers as well as for the text data.

Meanwhile, I will report the issue to our developers so they can look at, and fix it in the next version.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Samwise Posted - 07/13/2011 : 04:20:02 AM
Hi Hideo,

Thank you for your help. I applied what you did and it worked. I still encountered some problems however. Let me better describe my situation.

I have 2 work books the 1st, has 1 sheet with 3 columns and 10 rows.
eg: [workbook1]"Sheet1"!Col(A,b,c)[1:10];

The 2nd has one sheet, two columns and no data.
eg: [workbook2]"Sheet1"!Col(A,b);

I wish to import subset of workbook 1 into workbook 2.
Before formula scripts
eg: range r1=[workbook1]"Sheet1"!Col(A)[4:8];

Formula script:
r1

This ignores the row selection from the Before formula script and imports all 10 rows. However, if the Formula Script is changed to

r1+0

The imported data is only from the selected rows. Since this is a relatively simple thing to implement for mathematical data this is a sufficient solution for my purposes.

The final problem is with non mathematical data, for which this solution seems to not apply. I have tried using the other import options presented such as Set Values-> Variables-> insert info variable etc. but have had no luck with importing a column of text information from specific rows.

Thanks for your help, Sam

Hideo Fujii Posted - 07/12/2011 : 4:12:27 PM
Hi Sam,

I have tried the range notation in Set Values tool in Origin 8.1 SR3, but I couldn't reproduce the problem. What I did was as follows:

1) In Col(A) in Sheet1, Book1, entered {1, 2, 3}
2) For Col(B), I set the following in the Set Column Values:
  Before Formula Scripts: range r1 = [Book1]"sheet1"!A[2:3];
  Formula: r1+10
3) Run this tool, and got the following result correctly in Col(B): {12, 13}. (Note: If I used the formula: range r1 = [Book1]"sheet1"!A;
then I got the result {11, 12, 13} in Col(B).)

So, it seems okay. Maybe you can post the exact formula and the Before Formula Scripts here?

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000