The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Polar contour plot from matrix

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AndreLz Posted - 08/22/2011 : 4:02:03 PM
Origin Ver. 8.5.1 and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: WinXP

I need to plot a polar contour plot from the data in a matrix.

Each line of the matrix is the R value and the columns the theta. But I notice that Origin only accepts three columns (R, theta and the value) and the matrix has 19 lines (0 to 90, increase by 5) and 73 colums (0 to 360, increased by 5), with the entries of it being the values that I would like to get the contour.

Is there a way to plot all this matrix in just one step? I know that it is possible in the recatngular contour plot.

Thanks
Andre

Thanks
Andre
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Echo_Chu Posted - 05/26/2014 : 10:04:06 PM
Hi, alireza

This may because we interpolate to create contour plot from the data in worksheet. You can also look at the algorithm in the page below.

http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Create-Contour-Graph#Algorithm_for_Creating_a_Contour_from_a_Worksheet

If you still have problem, could you send us your project file so that we can identify the problem?

You could follow the instructions below to send your file.
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support&pid=752

Echo
OriginLab Technical Service
alirezausefi Posted - 05/26/2014 : 08:58:24 AM
hi
i have 3 type of data, Azimuth, degree, dip, degree, and value, dimensionless. i want to have a contour plot that has azimuth as theta dip as radius and value as z part. the ranges of data are:
Azimuth: 0:1:360
Dip: 0:1:90
0.25<value<2.5
When i draw the contour there are some points that have under zero value. i dont know why. but when i change the smooth parameters these values is corrected but the total contour is totally bad. how can i solve this problem?
if there is any one that can help me with my data, i can send them to him.
this is my email: alireza.yousefi@ut.ac.ir
cristianwallace Posted - 12/06/2012 : 3:49:42 PM
Thank you very much! I could do it!!!

quote:
Originally posted by snowli

Hello,

Origin supports polar contour with different R and Therta column orders. It looks you used wrong one. See your Radius axis shows 350.

If you have Radius column first and then Therta column, then the Z columns, please use Plot: Contour: Polar Contour r(X)therta(Y)

If you have Therta column first and then Radius column, then Z columns, please use Polar Contour therta(X) r(Y).

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

renewable energy
snowli Posted - 12/05/2012 : 1:42:03 PM
Hello,

Origin supports polar contour with different R and Therta column orders. It looks you used wrong one. See your Radius axis shows 350.

If you have Radius column first and then Therta column, then the Z columns, please use Plot: Contour: Polar Contour r(X)therta(Y)

If you have Therta column first and then Radius column, then Z columns, please use Polar Contour therta(X) r(Y).

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
cristianwallace Posted - 12/05/2012 : 1:12:58 PM
Hello, I have a problem with this Graph! i need to make it like a polar contour but I canĀ“t... can you help me?
Thanks!!

I need a graph like this! and I cant!!

i can send the matrix by email! or from here, i dont know how!

renewable energy
AndreLz Posted - 08/25/2011 : 11:52:18 PM
Hi Hideo! Thanks for the help!

I've made what you suggested - the conversion to XYZ worksheet - but it didn't work. What i got was a piece of the graph only ranging between 0° and 10°.

But the idea was perfect and useful! I don't know if Origin can make this variation of range to the full 360°, because it normalized my entire matrix to fit in the 10° interval; what I did then was to use the same logic and create a matrix ranging from 0° to 360°

Well, this is the expected result - still need some formatation.
In the end it was possible convert the matrix to the graph I needed.
I thank you again for the attention and help Hideo!

Andre
Hideo Fujii Posted - 08/24/2011 : 3:18:30 PM
Hi Andre,

You can first convert your matrix to a XYZ worksheet ("Matrix: Convert to Worksheet" menu, then Method="XYZ Columns"). Then, you can plot the polar contour from the worksheet. If you want a one-step operation, for example, you can run a script for the XYZ conversion and plotting, e.g.
m2w method:=xyz option:=xconst;
wks.colSel(1,1);
wks.colSel(2,1);
wks.colSel(3,1);
worksheet -p 243 PolarContour;
You can make a script file(.OGS) of this code, and make a tool button to run the script file. Please see details in the following section in Origin Help:
  UserGuide> Customization and Automation> Customizing Toolbars>
    > User-Defined and Custom Toolbars and Toolbar Buttons

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000