The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Some Problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LC_ Posted - 11/15/2011 : 08:38:10 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5.0 SR1
Operating System: Win 7 / Office 2010

Hi

Since I moved to the combination of Origin 8.5 / Office 2003 to the newest versions, I'm experiencing some issues with Excel/Origin. As I'm a very heavy Excel-inside-Origin user, I will list some of them which come to my mind:

- Editing cells does not work correctly when referencing cells in different sheets. If you are editing a formula in Sheet1, for exemple, and want to reference a cell in Sheet2, you get a Sheet2! reference in the formula when you click on Sheet2, and a second Sheet2! when you click on the cell. Referencing Sheet2!A1 from Sheet1, for example, becomes Sheet2!Sheet2!A1, which is invalid.

- Excel takes a long time to open inside origin now, and it freezes when it opens those annoying dialogs to enable editing, whilst these dialogs don't appear on the background. Not only anoying, this is a waste of time and looks bad especially if you're trying to demonstrate Origin's capabilities to someone :)

- If you drag and drop an Excel file into Origin and the file is already in use, Origin will display a "server busy" window which prevents you to access Excel's dialog which prevents Origin to access the file - deadlock.

- If you have more than one Excel file opened and you're working on any workbook, Excel constantly freezes until you alternate to a window and it comes back to life. This is particularly anoying and some times happen every couple of clicks, but sometimes not.

- Note to add-in developers: beware of Excel customized Add-ins. Excel shares the access to the add-in file between all open instances, and particularly when using independent instances like Origin does (which is great IMO). Apparently Excel gets strained and freezes constantly and crashs eventually. Maybe this is related to the previous issue, I've disabled my customized Add-ins and monitoring what happens.

- Excel ribbon from time to time is displayed incorrectly, especially the formula editing bar, which eventually goes blank. I also dislike the fact that I cannot resize it when using Excel inside Origin.

- Use of Replace command to change graph columns in Plot Setup and eventually the graphs will go blank. Click around a couple of times and the lines will come back - but sometimes won't.

- Similarly to the issue above, sometimes the graphs will be empty even if you have correct links to existing data in worksheets. I don't know how to explain it, since from time to time I find graphs with empty data but correct references. If I replot the data it will work. One thing I noticed was that it seems to be related to workbooks which had sheets added/renamed/deleted.

- In some cases where Excel stops responding, Origin limits itself to show the switch to-retry dialogbox and everything becomes inaccessible. Eg while saving a large file, Excel pops up a window "Calculation is incomplete. Recalculate before saving?" Origin Server Busy window will prevent to access Excel and the only way out is to force close Origin.

- One issue with pasting graphs to Word / Powerpoint. Even though the graph legends/titles which contain references like %(?X) paste initially correctly, they eventually get messed up and I can't figure up why. I was caught "on short pants" in a couple of occasions where graphs that were correct at first (correctly displayed both in Origin and Word/PPT) but screwed up. It is quite common, for example, to find the Y graph title displayed where there is a %(?X) reference. Another case is when a column from a graph generated from Excel has its column title changed to the previous string entry in same column. Still the graph is displayed correctly in Word and at some "magic" moment the reference will go wrong.

Thanks
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LC_ Posted - 11/18/2011 : 07:33:33 AM
Hi Dave

I'm using Excel 2010. My IT department does not approve Excel 2007 (most companies won't use it), whilst the good old Office 2003 has been discontinued by Microsoft.

Thanks

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000