The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin on Linux
 The Origin on Linux Forum
 Still not a linux version ??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eeegr Posted - 08/13/2009 : 05:37:46 AM
Dear all,

I use Origin at work for years now, and I could appreciate the positive evolution of the software on the MS plateform (Windows but also MSDOS).
But now, the last MS Win version could not satisfy me and, like many people I think, I switched on alternate OS...

So, I am a little bit surprised that OriginLab does not propose software version on other plateforms, such as linux based OS...

Clearly, does such version is planned or should I switch to another analysis software ?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sweetlisa Posted - 06/18/2011 : 04:24:27 AM
me too agree with Citylana
ulysses@mediashower.com Posted - 05/20/2011 : 1:07:37 PM

I strongly agree that Linux is still the operating system of for us. Why? It is more fun than any other computer operating system in our generation. Having an open-source Linux is ideally suited for a mission-critical application, its security and power are based on robust solutions which anyone can criticize, view, or improve on. A very stable, modern, multi-user, multitasking environment on your inexpensive PC hardware, at no (or almost no) monetary cost for the software. Linux is a rich and powerful platform operating system.

<b>Ulysses</b> is currently living in the Pearl of the Orient.
eeegr Posted - 05/19/2011 : 10:17:58 AM
I also use Origin on linux through an XP virtual machine on Virtuabox and it works well (copy-paste function, sharing linux folders...)
But I still expect a native linux version of Origin !
Clearly, it would guide my choice to a scientific graph software if I would have to buy one for my institution... But the concurrence is sleeping too...
Stefansjoglimt Posted - 05/13/2011 : 06:13:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Gianni79

I hope Origin Lab would develop multi plateform version of its software. I would love to use it on Linux

I agree totally. It would be really great and I believe that it would bring quite a lot of new business in creating the Linux-version.
robertwyant Posted - 05/11/2011 : 11:52:33 PM
@eeegr - maybe it's still on process. they might have plans about it.
raginibora Posted - 05/07/2011 : 05:26:29 AM
i got the same doubt as Mr.eeegr.., need more detailed info..,
Gianni79 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 5:49:31 PM
I hope Origin Lab would develop multi plateform version of its software. I would love to use it on Linux
HAMOS Posted - 03/04/2011 : 8:56:37 PM
I use it recurring to virtualization (have it installed on a Xp virtual machine in Virtual Box).
DrFredAlbrecht Posted - 02/07/2011 : 01:48:41 AM
Dear all,

Origin 8.5 works well on Opensuse 11.3_64 within wine (1.2), when I use wineconfig (w2k).
1. Installation with wine and Origininstaller.exe
2. Copy of mfc42.dll (w2k) in origin85 directory
3. First run of origin with licensing
ontario23 Posted - 03/25/2010 : 3:06:13 PM
I am agree with Citylana
eeegr Posted - 12/02/2009 : 04:47:38 AM
Yes indeed, but when I see the last multiplatforms versions of Matlab, I do believe that Originlab is able to do the same since their software is less elaborate than Matlab
eeegr Posted - 11/12/2009 : 10:30:41 AM
@Chadmama : I do not see the connection with the topic ? except spam maybe ??
eeegr Posted - 10/17/2009 : 07:05:49 AM
I tried Qtiplot on linux but it has much less functionalities than recent versions of Origin, to my opinion, even if the possibility to open *.opj files is a good point.
I also tried runnin Origin 8.5 through Wine, but it does not function properly... Never tested virtualization even if it maybe the best issue, indeed.

Anyway, I'd prefer to keep optimistic on the fact that OriginLab may release in the near future a multi plateform version of its software !
bulseco Posted - 10/05/2009 : 2:04:30 PM
I have had similar experiences with OriginLab on crossover office and VMWare. Turns out that VMWare running Win2K was more stable for OriginLab than crossover office in a Win2K bottle (or Win98 bottle for that matter). I tested on both Origin 7.5 and 8.0 (early releases). I am sure it is not practical to develop a native linux version, so virtualization may be our best option for now.

On the other hand, if Origin were being developed from scratch, then it makes a lot of sense to take the path that will enable release on multiple platforms...(and this is what most "new development" projects should focus on), but it does not seem likely at this point.

BTW: I tried qtiplot and it crashed upon install on an XP Pro system...never tried it again.
amorris Posted - 10/05/2009 : 1:50:16 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think that originlab has any intention of making a native version for Linux. Over the years, I've tried many different options such as running origin with wine, or crossover office and with virtualization. While the crossover office implementation is quite nice, it is not very stable and just enough problems crop up so that it isn't a viable option for any serious work. The best solution that I found was to use virtualization to run origin (such as vmware workstation). I posted something a couple of years ago on how to get the virtualization to work well, but now it's a lot easier with vmware workstation 6.5.
tad Posted - 09/23/2009 : 3:48:35 PM
You may try qtiplot. It is supposed to read *.OPJ files. It has in some sense similar gui.

tad
eeegr Posted - 08/31/2009 : 08:39:18 AM
It is great to notice that other Origin users are interested by a native Linux version.
I hope this will motivate OriginLab to propose such a version very soon...
Elktro Posted - 08/25/2009 : 3:04:58 PM
I have been waiting for native origin version for Linux for quite a while as well.
Citylana Posted - 08/24/2009 : 10:56:46 AM
I also think that a Linux version is very important to scientific computing end users. Linux platform is an important platform in scientific computing.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000