The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 plot z=f(x,y)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

originwebber

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  5:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5 SR1
Operating System: win7

Wonder how I can plot z=f(x,y) in Origin. Say x is from 1 to 10(10 points), y is from 1 to 7 (7 points). I set up a worksheet with 3 columns as x,y,z. When I try to convert to matrix using XYZ gridding, says "too few data points for gridding". What did I miss here?

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  5:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

You can set up Z values by Z=f(X, Y) directly into a matrix. First, you can set the dimension and XY mapping (from row/column index) by "Matrix: Set Dimension/Labels" menu. Than you can set the cell values by "Matrix: Set Values" menu using your function of X and Y.
Then, you can plot a 3D plot or a contour plot from the matrix.

Hope I didn't misunderstand your problem.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

originwebber

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  10:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the quick response. Here is another problem: how to setup XY mapping. I have only one column as X, one column as Y in worksheet. The mapping setup asked first and last column for X. For Y, it asked first and last row.

Also, I want to show original data as X,Y axis scale.

I attached my worksheet and matrix setup screen.

Thank you for the help.

quote:
Originally posted by Hideo Fujii

Hi,

You can set up Z values by Z=f(X, Y) directly into a matrix. First, you can set the dimension and XY mapping (from row/column index) by "Matrix: Set Dimension/Labels" menu. Than you can set the cell values by "Matrix: Set Values" menu using your function of X and Y.
Then, you can plot a 3D plot or a contour plot from the matrix.

Hope I didn't misunderstand your problem.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab /br]

Edited by - originwebber on 12/07/2011 10:59:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  3:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

"Mapping" here means you can map the index numbers(1, 2,...) of matrix rows or columns to the X (or Y) coordinates - not the mapping between a worksheet and a matrix. Based on the size of the matrix (number of rows and columns), each matrix cell at the lattice would be automatically determined. So, you need to enter the minimum value of X to the "First Column X", its maximum to the "Last Column X", as well as for Y's. Once you set up the structure of the matrix, you can fill values of matrix cells by Set Values tool with your Z=f(x, y) function.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

originwebber

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  08:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Got it. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000