The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 russian character
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

giordandue

Italy
Posted - 12/23/2011 :  3:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.6.0 64bit
Operating System:Windows7

Hi,
I have the necessity to translate the text added to a graph in Russian (cyrillic characters). I got from my Russian colleague the translation in Word and then I copied it to past in the text box of the Origin graph, but I have problems.. In particular, I cannot substitute the text as it is, because Origin allows only (by using the Past Special command) to past the translation as a Word document or as a Picture (metafile). In the first case, it is very difficult/impossible (?) to format the text as it was; in the second I get: "??????". Do you have some suggestion/workaround to solve the problem? Is it not possible in this case simply to substitute the original text by the past command? Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas...

giordandue

Italy
Posted - 12/26/2011 :  07:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I add the image of an another attempt I did: I added the Cyrillic font in Windows and by using "property", I tried to copy the russian text in the label. As one can see, I get "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE"....another
As I said, If I use another font, I get "???????.."
Go to Top of Page

newmanderland

8 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  3:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Try using the built-in Origin font "Arial-CYR"
Go to Top of Page

giordandue

Italy
Posted - 12/28/2011 :  4:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi newmanderland,
thank you for your suggestion..
I tried to follow it and I downloaded arial-cyr.ttf, but the result is not positive.. I do not know if I am doing some error..
Go to Top of Page

newmanderland

8 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  4:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I mean you do not need installing additional fonts. If you have a Russian keyboard or a copied Russian text, just paste it into your Origin plot, then select it and change the font to "Arial-CYR" in the drop-down font menu. Do not use "property" (The text will not be correctly displayed in the "properties", but will be correctly displayed on the screen). Just copy-paste from word or type with the russian keyboard, and then change its font to "Arial-CYR".
Go to Top of Page

giordandue

Italy
Posted - 12/29/2011 :  02:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
As I said in the first message, if I copy/past the Word text, I cannot substitute the text in the labels of the graph, but I get a new Word object (in alternative, using "past special" I could copy as an image, resulting with a serie of ????). In effect, for the moment, I use such a method (i.e. Word object), but this means some relevant problems in editing as in the original labels. For this reason I tried as well to past the translation in "property". Do you intend this approach (Word object)? It seems that I have not alternative..
Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

newmanderland

8 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  09:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You can first copy-paste from Word into a text editor, then the text will be without Word formatting. After this you can copy-paste the text from the text editor into Origin. After this, if you see unreadable characters, select them and change the font to Arial-CYR in the drop-down font menu.
Go to Top of Page

giordandue

Italy
Posted - 12/29/2011 :  09:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
unfortunately, it does not work.. I get ?????????
Following your basic suggestion, I tried first with Arial_Cyr and then by the Cyrillic fonts. In the latter I get the same of the posted image (EEEEEEE..).
In any case, thank you for your help..
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  10:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

In ASCII encoding, in my understanding, Russian characters (Cyrillic) are placed 
in the extended ASCII area, overlapping other languages' non-English alphabets 
(like Hebrew, Arabic, etc.). If your Windows' "locale" is set to a Western 
European, e.g. English, the Operating System displays unintended fonts for 
such extended ASCII characters. To handle multiple languages simultaneously, 
Unicode was invented. (MS Word contains Unicode internally. Origin's "Rich Text" 
can represent Unicode with a escape sequence, as well.)

So, I think, you can take either way to write Russian characters: 
Change your (whole) Windows' locale to Russian, or use the Unicode string 
for the Origin text label. To do so, the following methods can be taken: 

1) To change the Windows' locale (may differ by versions of Windows): 
  i) Start Region and Language tool in the Control Panel, and choose 
    "Administrative" tab.
 ii) Select "Russian" at the "Language for Non-Unicode Programs" option 
    for the System Locale.

Please note that once you change the system locale, all extended ASCII 
characters would be displayed according to the locale.

2) To write Unicode string as Rich Text in Origin: 
  Use Origin's Symbol Map feature in "in-place editing" mode when entering 
  string for text labels in Graph, or in a Rich-Text-set worksheet ["Format: 
  Worksheet" menu, "Format" tab, "Apply To" setting] . To do so, when entering 
  characters, right-click at the blinking cursor, and choose "Symbol Map" 
  fly-out. Choose a Unicode font such as Arial MS Unicode, then, turn ON  
  "Unicode" check box, and choose and insert any Unicode characters.
  The following thread may be also helpful: 
   http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9584

I hope you try the either approach above (whichever suitable), and be successful.

Happy New Year, 2012.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 12/29/2011 11:03:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

giordandue

Italy
Posted - 12/29/2011 :  1:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hideo, thank you for your help. I prefer to avoid to change the local Windows setting and I tried the second alternative, but I think that it is good if one wants to enter directly the text by the symbols map. In my case, as shown in the posted image, I need to past the translated text into a lot of graph labels and it seems that it is impossible (I use Arial unicode, and many other fonts, but I get ???? or, if I use cyrillic "EEEE"). For the moment, it seems that the workaround is to copy the russian text as a new Word object, to spend some time in editing it as better is possible and to erase the original graph labels.
Ciao!
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  2:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Giordano,

Yes, I agree that Symbol Map is not convenient when you enter a long text or
to paste a text from other application, though it may be okay to enter a short label.
I will suggest our developers to improve this inconvenience. Thank you very much
for pointing out the issue.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 12/29/2011 2:46:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

pazliberty

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
i studied videos as given by you for but type of symbol how i can extend for more than one type smybol.
kind regards.
vikas katoch
Go to Top of Page

giordandue

Italy
Posted - 01/12/2012 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am sorry but I do not understand your comment.. Kind Regards
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000