The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Axis reverses when zooming in
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

kpongani

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver.8.5.1 and SR ?
Also, Origin 8 and SR 6

Operating System: Win 7 64 bit

I'm plotting a dive profile, so I need to plot the surface (0 m) at the top. To do that, I have the y-axis reversed (say, 450 to 0).

However, when I zoom in on the graph, the axis reverts to the conventional direction (0 to 450).

How do I prevent this from happening? This never occurred with version 7.

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 12/30/2011 :  03:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Kpongani,

Indeed, this problem exists in Origin 8.0 SR6, but I didn't find it in Origin 8.5.1 SR2. Would you please check your Origin 8.5.1 to find out which service release of Origin 8.5.1 you are using? How about upgrade it to SR2?

Thanks,
Shirley

Originlab Technical Service Team

Edited by - Shirley_GZ on 12/30/2011 03:52:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

kpongani

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  08:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm sorry, but I have no idea. Version 8.5.1 was a friend's copy. I have version 8, SR6. How do I fix this serious bug, please? (BTW, version 8.1 also displays this problem.) Version 7.0 does not.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 12/30/2011 :  9:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Kpongani,

This is a known bug in Origin 8.0 SR6, which we aren't going to fix. Sorry for that.

In your case, if you only want show a specified range of the curve and know the X/Y range exactly, how about fixing the X/Y range in Axis dialog?

Thanks,
Shirley

Edited by - Shirley_GZ on 12/30/2011 9:14:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

kpongani

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  03:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Version 8.1, SR3, also has this problem. I've checked. It isn't just in version 8.0.

And, our lab has *five* licenses (one-8.0 and four-8.1)that will be worthless with this bug that started with version 8. It is not as if I am asking for a new feature. This axis problem wasn't present in any of the previous versions prior to 8. It seems reasonable to expect that versions 8 and 8.1 deal with the axis properly. I am very saddened and disappointed about the response to this. I always had such an extremely high regard for your company.

quote:
Originally posted by Shirley_GZ

Hi Kpongani,

This is a known bug in Origin 8.0 SR6, which we aren't going to fix. Sorry for that.

In your case, if you only want show a specified range of the curve and know the X/Y range exactly, how about fixing the X/Y range in Axis dialog?

Thanks,
Shirley

Go to Top of Page

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 12/31/2011 :  05:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Kpongani,

There are two workarounds for this case, please try them if you have time:

1. Run
axis_scrollbar axis:=top;
in the script window before zoom in the graph.
A scroll bar will be added to the graph, I am not sure if this is OK for you.

2. Run
range rr=[graph1]1!; //define the layer you are going to customize as a range.
rr.y.reverse=1; //reverse the Y axis, but the bottom X axis will be changed as top X axis.

before you zoom in the graph. After this, you need drag the top X to the bottom, and customize the axis tick and its tick label by yourself if needed.

I really hope that these ways can help you. Any problem about them, please contact us freely.

Thanks,
Shirley

Edited by - Shirley_GZ on 12/31/2011 05:28:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

kpongani

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  10:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I've tried both methods on Origin Version 8.1, SR3 (Win7 64 bit). Neither seem to work. It is possible the Script Window works differently than I remember. There is no entry in Help specifically on how to run a Script Window. if I'm doing it wrong, perhaps you need to supply a bit more information on running a Script Window.

When I hit enter after cutting and pasting the line for Method 1, nothing happens. There is no scroll bar added and the graph continues to reverse the axis when I need to zoom into an individual dive.

Cutting and pasting the lines for Method 2 produces an error.

RR.Y.REVERSE is illegal name for defining a variable
unknown error in expression assignment
#Command Error!
Go to Top of Page

couturier

France
291 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  11:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Maybe you can try the following workaround

1. multiply your Y col by -1: Open script window by selecting Window:Script window. Select your Y column and in script window, type *(-1) and hit enter (Alternativeley, you can multiply your col by (-1) using the set column value dialog).

2. plot your data. Double click Y axis to bring Y axis dialog. Go to Tick Label tab. There's a Divide by Factor entry. Enter -1 and click OK

Your graph should be OK.
Go to Top of Page

kpongani

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  3:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, that just leaves the problem in reverse. When I Rescale to Show All, the axis has flipped. Plus, I've had to alter my original data, which I am sure you will appreciate is never a good idea.

[Edit] You are right. If I plot my altered data with the axis reversed, the zoom button does not flip the axis.

It still leaves the data altered, which is a worry.

[Edit - 2nd time] This method also leaves the Tick Labels for y-axis with the wrong sign.

So, bottom line: your method works - sort of, but it is not a complete solution.

Edited by - kpongani on 12/31/2011 3:45:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

pazliberty

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  5:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you very much.
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with NAG frunctions, how does it work?
Thanks again,
Liberty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000