The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 graph data selector keyboard movement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

jphilo

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  5:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin 8.6 SR3 Operating System: Win7 64-bit

I have just upgraded from version 7.5 to 8.6 and find that the behavior of the data selector tool has changed in a way that is causing problems for me. Previously I could move through the data set 1 point at a time by holding the CTRL key and using the left and right cursor on the keyboard. Now when I do this the data marker skips data points (it moves by several X values with each key stroke), and that doesn't give me fine enough control over the data region. How can I change this behavior and move point-by-point?

I also find that after I use the marked region to define the range for the Mathematics...Integrate command the markers on the graph always display. In earlier versions the Data...Reset to Full Range command would remove them. Now neither that nor the Data...Clear Data Markers command will remove them.

berry_wang

2 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  11:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi jphilo,

The behavior for Data Selector tool in Origin 8.6 has been changed. When you use the tool, you may press the Space key on your keyboard and then use the left and right cursor to select data point-by-point.
As for the second question, I assume you want to remove the analysis markers on the graph after you perform Mathematics: Integrate. Then you may select the Data:Analysis Markers: Hide menu to hide the markers.

Berry
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  4:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jphilo,

We did made many changes in behavior regarding to Data Selector since 7.5.

Here are a summary of the changes.
1. You can use Arrow keys directly to move one point at a time.
2. Ctrl/Shift + Arrow keys is for fast move. This is useful for people with large data.
3. Use TAB key to switch focus of left end cursor and right end cursor. (Somehow there is some problem of hint display on Status bar at the bottom of the Origin workspace so sorry for the confusion. We will improve on this)

4. If user has multiple plots in one graph, when select Data Selector, u can click on the plot you want to adjust range. The cursors will show on that plot. And if u do analysis now, it will work on that data range. (In 7.5, Data Selector only show on the active plot. So user has to use Data menu to change active plot first and then use data selector.)
5. You can double click the cursor to keep on adjusting a range.
6. We support define multiple ranges in a graph. User user Data selector several times to select multiple ranges. (this are for analysis that support multiple input)
7. After picking a range, press Enter to go out of data selector mode. Then user can right click the red cursor lines and use some context menus to move cursor and delete the selected range. So for your question 2, you could right click the selected data range and choose "Delete Marker".
8. After using Data selector to select a range, did you press Enter to exit adjusting mode? I did see if still in data selector mode, then after I did Mathematics: Integrate command, data selector still shows. But if you have pressed Enter to go out of data selector mode and then do integration, there is no data selector.

BTW, there is Regional Data Selector tool (the button below Data Selector on Tools toolbar)which is easier to use. You can draw rectangle to specify a range or multiple ranges easily. You can search "Selecting Data in the Graph" to see more details of it.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

Edited by - snowli on 08/06/2012 4:52:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

jphilo

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  5:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Berry and Snow Li, thanks for the explanations and suggestions. Regarding the markers staying on the graph after the Integrate command, I wasn't understanding the difference between Analysis Markers versus Data Markers. I must say that the Help file is rather deficient about these various types of markers (no index entries!).

Is there any way to remove Analysis Markers? Yes you can hide them, but that's not the same thing. There is no 'remove' option in the Analysis Markers section of the Data Menu or in the context menu that comes up when I right-click on such a marker. I am doing multiple integrations over different regions of the same data set and really don't want each different one to be marked. Doing this was very quick and easy in version 7.5; it takes significantly more steps now.

Also in my opinion these analysis markers should get cleared out if you import new data into the corresponding worksheet.

John
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi John,

Data Marker is to select the sub-range which you want to do analysis on.

Analysis Marker is only generated after an analysis has been done and in the Analysis dialog: Recalculation Mode is set to Manual or Auto. During analysis, if you set Recalculation Mode to be None, then there will be no Analysis Marker.

Note: Analysis Marker is associated with auto recalcuation feature which is userful if after analysis user wants to adjust settings to recalculate or adjust input data range to recalculate.

One example:
1. Fill col A and B with row numbers. Plot a scatter graph with it.
2. Use Data Selector to select a subrange in graph. Press Enter to accept the subrange.
3. Choose Analysis: Fitting: Linear Fit.
--> In the dialog, the Input shows it's a subrange.
4. Click OK
--> In the graph, Data Marker is gone, instead, Analysis Marker shows. Also there is a green lock below Layer 1 icon.
5. There is a "Marker & Locks" toolbar. 1st two buttons are for Data Marker. Others are for Anlysis Marker. E.g u can click Marker Hide Show button to hide the marker. Note: The markers will not be exported in Graph export.
6. Right click the Analysis Mark and choose Change Parameter...
7. In Input Data or Range 1 node, u can click the "Select Range from Graph" icon, then you will be sent back to graph to adjust the subrange. After done, u can click the icon on Select Range from Graph window to go back to Linear Fit db. You can set Intercept to be fixed, etc. Click OK, the analysis will be done for the new data range with new settings.
8. Note: Green lock has context menus too. (Also green means everything is up to date. If you modify the worksheet data, e.g. enter randum data in col B, then when you are back to graph, the lock will show in yellow if your recalculation mode is set to Manual. You can click Recalculate button to update the fitting)

I will check what we could do to improve our Analysis Marker and Data Marker related documentation.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000