The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum for Programming
 Forum for Origin C
 using string variables within workbook addresses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cpeterbeng

Germany
Posted - 08/06/2012 :  12:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 8.6.0 32 bit; WinXP latest build
Hi,
Using a formula in the set column values, is it possible to use a string variable to insert a workbook name into a range variable formula? I want to use a list of workbook names included as a text column in the current workbook. This would allow me to gather statistics from a large number of workbooks.
Something like:
max(r1)
Before Formula Scripts:
string workbookname$ = col(workbookname);
range r1 = [workbookname$]sheet!Col(Column);

C. Peter Bengtson

Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Neurowissenschaften (IZN)

Universität Heidelberg +49-(0)6221-546484 (lab)

Im Neuenheimer Feld 364 +49-(0)6221-546700 (fax)

69120 Heidelberg, GERMANY

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  8:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Yes, of course, you can use the string variable, such as:

Before Formula Scripts:

string workbookname$ = book1;  // workbook name is book1 here
range r1 = [workbookname$]sheet1!col(1);  // use the string variable

Penn
Go to Top of Page

cpeterbeng

Germany
Posted - 08/10/2012 :  03:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The value of your string "workbookname$" remains fixed as "book1". I am trying to assign the entries in a column to a string variable. Something like:
string workbookname$ = col(X); // column(X) contains a text list of the workbook names.
Is it possible to feed text from a column into the value of a string variable somehow?
thanks, Peter
Go to Top of Page

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  04:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Peter,

If I got your meaning right, the book name is listed as the following image shows, right?

If so, please try the following script.

range ra = [book1]sheet1!col(A);  // column A
range rwks = [book1]sheet1!;  // sheet1
for(ii = 1; ii <= rwks.maxrows; ii++)  // loop to get all the book names
{
	string strbookname$ = ra[ii]$;  // get the iith book name	
	strbookname$ = ;  // print the book name
}

Penn
Go to Top of Page

cpeterbeng

Germany
Posted - 08/13/2012 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Penn,
Your script can generate a list of booknames. I want to use the booknames in a formula. For example in column fxColA of book1 I would like to calculate the maximum value in each of all the Col(A) in books 2 to 5 and have them listed in book1 column fxColA in each row next to the corresponding book name which is listed in column A of book1.

I know I could generate a new statistics output sheet with max values but this is just a starting point example. I want to use more complex equations than just the maximum function and I want to generate these results according to a column of book names.
thanks,
Peter

C. Peter Bengtson

Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Neurowissenschaften (IZN)

Universität Heidelberg +49-(0)6221-546484 (lab)

Im Neuenheimer Feld 364 +49-(0)6221-546700 (fax)

69120 Heidelberg, GERMANY
Go to Top of Page

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  9:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Peter,

I think you can merge the two example scripts I provided in my two replies. For example:

range rBook1ColA = [book1]sheet1!col(A);  // column A in book1 sheet1
range rBook1fxColA = [book1]sheet1!col(fxColA);  // column fxColA in book1 sheet1
range rBook1Wks = [book1]sheet1!;  // sheet1 in book1
for(ii = 1; ii <= rBook1Wks.maxRows; ii++)  // loop to get book names for calculation
{
	string strBookname$ = rBook1ColA[ii]$;  // get the book name
	range rr = [strBookname$]sheet1!col(A);  // define the corresponding column A
	rBook1fxColA[ii] = max(rr);  // calculate the maximum and put to column fxColA
}

Penn
Go to Top of Page

cpeterbeng

Germany
Posted - 08/14/2012 :  11:29:56 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Problem solved. Thanks alot for your help.
Peter
Go to Top of Page

cpeterbeng

Germany
Posted - 04/15/2016 :  05:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,
I would like to expand on this to generate a sheet of column labels from the workbooks listed in a column. I tried the following script but it doesn't like the string variable. (string expression error! BOOK:failed to add variable to local stack!)
What am I doing wrong?
Peter

// copy column long names from columns 1 to 50 from Sheet1
// in each of 35 books whose names are listed in col("booknames")
// in the active sheet
loop (j,1,35)
{
string book$ = col("booknames")[j]$;
loop (i,1,50)
{
range r1 = [book$]Sheet1!wcol(i); // Point to the source column
range r2 = wcol(i); // Point to the target column in the active sheet
r2[j] = r1[L]; // place the column long name into the target sheet
}
}
Go to Top of Page

SeanMao

China
288 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2016 :  06:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Peter,

Variable "i" and "j" are Origin reserved built-in variables, i denotes row index and j denotes column index. You should at least try to avoid using those two names as variable names.

r1[L]=>r1[L]$ // it is a string

Regards!

Sean

OriginLab Tech.

Go to Top of Page

patricktenore179

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  11:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
What kind of home do you want and need? This is a crucial step in the process of buying a property. Select your ideal location, including suburban, downtown or rural. Then, what kind of home are you looking to buy (townhouse, apartment, condo or co-op)? Upon determining it, you should also set a price range, determine the size of the house and select the architectural built and style of your choice.

http://patrick-tenore-real-estate-group.blogspot.com

[url=http://patrick-tenore-real-estate-group.blogspot.com]Patrick Tenore[/url]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000