The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Overparameterized Nonlinear Curve Fit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

coolingc

1 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  6:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hey all-

I am working on fitting a nonlinear curve function in Origin to a set of data I've taken. The form of the equation is

y = M* (1- (A/x^(1/2))) + K

Where x and y are my data variables, and I am fitting for M, A and K. For some reason, Origin doesn't fit when the exponent attached to the x is less than 1 (ie a fraction).

Often, I get the error ' Fit did not converge - mutual dependency exists between parameters.
You may have overparameterized the fitting function. Fixing one of them may eliminate this problem.'

What can I do to alleviate this issue? Infinite thanks!

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi coolingc,

I'm not sure, but could you first please check IF your fit function type is OriginC or else. If it is of OriginC, the "1/2" term in your formula becomes 0 because of the integer calculation. Then, eventually your looses the independent variable, and will never converge. If this is the case, you can write 0.5 (as real) or (1.0/2.0) instead of 1/2.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 09/05/2012 10:43:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000