The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3D Stack of Contour Plots
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

luser

Canada
Posted - 09/06/2012 :  09:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 8.5.1 SR2
Operating System: W7

Hi!

I'm trying to make a plot, not unlike the example I cobbled together in PPT so I wouldn't have to explain it in words - that IS what graphs are for, after all.

I'd really like to do it in Origin so everything lines up nicely and I can express a 4th dimension on the Z-axis defining why the layers are different. Is this possible? If yes is it straight forward?

Thanks again!

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  2:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi luser,

There is no straightforward way to make such stack contours in a 3D-space. One work-around is
to make individual contours as the XY-plane projections of 3D surface plots, then to merge them
as layers into one graph. Here is the procedure:

1) Make 3D surface plots from your data, and let them have the common XY scales and the rotational
angles. Hide the surface and show the bottom contour from the "Surface/Projections" tab in the
plot-level Plot Details dialog.

2) For each graph, open the layer-level Plot Details dialog, choose Miscellaneous tab, and choose
"Orthographic" projection (not to make gaps after merging).

3) Hide all unnecessary axis elements from Plot Details dialog box ("Plane" tab and "Display" tab),
and from Axis dialog box ("Grids" tab, "Tick Labels" tab, and "Title&Format" tab).

4) Merge all graphs into 1x1 arrangement. ("Graph:Merge Graph Windows" menu)

5) In the Plot Details dialog (layer-level), select "Size/Speed" tab, and change the "Top" position
of each layer so that each layer shifts vertically. (negative values for child layers at "% of Linked layer").

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

luser

Canada
Posted - 09/06/2012 :  4:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks Hideo Fujii for taking the time to figure that out.

It will work, but isn't ideal because the z-axis isn't the 4th dimension, but the 3rd repeated. So the z-axis will need to be hidden and the 4th dimension added as simple text.

I should stop doing things that no-one else does.

LUser
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  5:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[quote]Originally posted by luser

> So the z-axis will need to be hidden

This is not the problem. You can just turn the Z axis of layer1, if I understood correctly.

> the 4th dimension added as simple text.

I don't understand what you said here.

> I should stop doing things that no-one else does.

No, no, not few people asked us such stacked contours; so what you envisioned is not what no-one else does.

We are planning to release a new version, 9.0 sometime in this year, and in this new version, arranging contour as stacked could be done easier as the contours can be arranged within a single layer.
I think you would like this nice 3D features.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000