The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 mean of a noisy curve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

scalpa

France
Posted - 09/25/2012 :  06:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5 SR2
Operating System:win7

Hello,

I have a noisy curve on which the x are not evenly spaced (plus, there are several y for some xs).
I'd like to "bin" it ie have regularly spaced points that take the mean y value and I need the SD as well.
I'm sure it's there but I could not find it.
thanks for any clue.

best

scalpa

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  2:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi scalpa,

To make a plot of X-evenly-spaced, mean-replaced-at-same-X plot, you can try the following:

1) Highlight Y column, and select "Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: Statistics on Columns".
In the tool's dialog, specify the X column as the "Grouping Range" under "Input Data> Range 1" option branch.
You can turn off unnecessary statistics like Sum, Min, Max, etc. You get the SD, etc.
in a flat report sheet, "DescStatsFlat1".

2) In this flat sheet, you can highlight unique X column, Mean column as Y, and SD column as yErr.
(If single point at an X position, SD would be "--" (missing value), and you can replace them to 0, if you like.)

3) Run "Interpolate/Extrapolate" menu under "Analysis: Mathematics" menu for the Mean plot
to produce the evenly spaced plot. (No way, but these rearranged points no longer have SD errors.)

Hope the above procedure works for your purpose.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 09/25/2012 3:40:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

scalpa

France
Posted - 10/01/2012 :  12:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
HI Hideo,

thank you for response but this does not do the trick for me. I absolutely need the sd for each x. what i would like is : impose a bin size and within this bin (where I have several points), compute the average of the ys and the corresponding sd. (the xs are given by the binning and the origin).

any way to do this with origin ?

best

scalpa
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  3:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi scalpa,

I think I got better understanding what you want. Could you please try the following procedure?

1) To aggregate the X values to equi-spaced series (with X Initial and X Increment),
add a column (col(C) below), and calculate the column by Set Column Values tool using the formula:

(Int((col(A)-IniX)/IncX))*IncX+iniX+(IncX/2)

2) Run the "Statistics on Columns" for Y (col(B) in my sample) with the above new column
as the Group Variable.

3) From "DescStatsFlat1" sheet, make a plot from X-Y-YErr.

Hope this matches to what you have envisioned.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

P.S. As seen in the above screenshot, you can also get and use the SE (Standard Error of the mean) instead of SD.

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 10/01/2012 3:24:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

scalpa

France
Posted - 10/02/2012 :  04:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hideo,

that's exactly it. Thank a lot !

all the best

scalpa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000