The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Slow Search form
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Jose

Netherlands
93 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2002 :  12:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
The Search form of the Origin forum takes a lot to load in my browser, about 1 min. I think this is due to the long list of users it has to load. I find this unnecessary, as the search by user name can be directly typed (no need of a list), and the search can be speeded up...

j.

Lorraine

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2002 :  2:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your comments about this. I have brought this up with our Systems Adminstrators and they will be addressing the problem.

Lorraine
OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

rtoomey

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2002 :  3:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We've disabled this field. Please note that it would be very difficult to bring it back as anything other than the original drop-down list since querying by username relies on the username's actual physical position in the drop-down list. A text box is therefore not an option.

Any and all who read this should feel free to voice their opinions!

Thanks,
Ryan Toomey
OriginLab Corporation

Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  10:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
DON'T DISABLE THE FIELD!!!

(IMHO)

Since the problem is in loading the list for the combobox, just change the field to a Text box. This lets you type in a user name manually. When I've read something interesting from user "X", I might want to search for other things they have had to say.

Go to Top of Page

Jose

Netherlands
93 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  07:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I also find the searching by user very useful. If there's no other possibility (no text box), I'd prefer to have two different forms, one with the list and another without it, so in the case I want to search by user I'd load the long form and would have to wait that minute. For fast searches, the short form will be enough.

My suggestion is that in the current form without the combolist, a new link stating Search by user (long form) would lead to the old one with the list.

j.

Edited by - Jose on 02/04/2002 07:31:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000