The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 origin and user permissions on Windows2000
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Markus

Germany
29 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2002 :  08:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I've installed origin 6.1 SR4 on an Win2K-machine (with admin-privileges). When a user or a power-user on this machine try to perform an analysis/extract-worksheet-data they get an error message that they are not allowed to create or modify the temp.otw (which is needed for temperary storage), and they get back the results in a template, the last admin placed there as temp.otw. This occurs although the user/power-user has full control for the folder/files. This behaviour does not exist if the user has administrative rights on the machine.
Are there some additional settings (except of the file/folder permissions) necessary to allow users/power-users saving the temp.otw, maybe some registry-settings?

Thank you
Markus

scottp

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2002 :  12:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Assuming this is a standard default (Non Network) Origin Installation, the temp.otw file should reside in the Origin Software directory. This by default is C:\Program Files\Origin61. It is possible to install Origin to a different location as specified during the installation routine. The installation on my computer is D:\Origin61. This is where I located the file temp.otw. You should use the find feature of Windows and locate temp.otw and verify it is in the same directory as Origin61.exe. Also check the date and make sure it is the same date as when you last perform a successful analysis/extract-worksheet-data. If the location of the file is not were it should be, then I would guess that the privileges to access this particular location are only accessible to an Administrator. It is possible to move the default location of many of the Origin support files from the Origin Menu, Tools: Options: File Locations tab. There is a Reset button that will configure all support files to their state when the software was first installed. It is possible that the location for otw files was changed to a location that is not accessible to a Power User. I would try using the Reset button while logged on as the Administrator.

I do find it unusual that this is the only problem the user is having, without Administrative Rights. In a case that the temp.otw is inaccessible to the user, there are usually many problems due to the inability to access the Origin Software directory. That is why I am inclined to think the location of this particular file has somehow been moved. If resetting the location of the files does not work, I would completely uninstall Origin first using the Uninstall routine, and then deleting all remaining files in the Origin Software directory. Of course it is OK to leave any existing Origin OPJ files. I would then reinstall Origin. As you stated, you need to install Origin with a user name that has full Administrative Rights and make sure you specify an installation for "All Users". Also, it is best to reboot the computer after the installation to insure the proper installation of all System DLL's. Finally, you should log back onto the computer with Administrative Rights and launch Origin. This will insure that after the proper MS System DLL's are installed, the Registry Keys are properly written. The keys can only be written when an Administrator is logged on.

What you are describing, particularly with the lack of other symptoms seems to be a unique occurrence. If you are unable to solve this problem with the information I have provided, I suggest you contact your local Origin Distributor for Technical Support. This link will take you to a list with their contact information.

http://www.originlab.com/www/support/contact.asp
Go to Top of Page

Markus

Germany
29 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2002 :  12:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I reinstalled origin (I did not try to reset the file location because I did not change it), launched it as an admin and now it works. So I assume I missed the first start at the previous installation.

Thank you Scott
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000