The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum for Programming
 LabTalk Forum
 Waterfall from multiple workbooks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  05:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 9
Operating System: Windows 7

Hi,

I often need to use waterfall graphs. For this, I need a single worksheet with X and my multiple Y columns. Therefore, I would need a way to copy Y columns from some/all workbooks (or worksheets) into a single, new workbook (and rename it, if possible). How could I do this?

Thank you.

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  3:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am not sure you are aware of Origin's multi-sheet plotting abilities. Maybe you do not need to copy anything.

If you do not select anything in the worksheet when choosing Plot : Multi-curve : Waterfall, the Plot Setup dialog that opens lets you select multiple sheets in the top panel then choose your X and Y in the middle panel and Origin will combine all selected Y's from all sheets into one plot.
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  04:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, I am aware of multi-plotting. The thing is, I work on many worksheets separately, normally over 30, so I was trying to find out a faster way to do it rather than selecting them manually. I thought that, if I managed to create a new workbook with all Y columns, it could be done on a whim.
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  03:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Clairekun

I thought that, if I managed to create a new workbook with all Y columns, it could be done on a whim.

I found out how to do this, no labtalk needed. In case someone wants the solution:

First, import your first file.

Open any of your ASCII files with whatever program you use (i.e. notepad) to know which is your Y column. Let's say it's the third column.

When this is done, select "import multiple ASCII files" and check the "show options dialog" before clicking Ok.

Then, under "Import Options", the import mode is set as "Replace existing data" by default. Change this to "Start new columns".

Still under Import Options, scroll down to "Partial Import" and enable partial importing. If your Y column is the third, then set "From column 3" and "To column 3".

Click Ok and you have it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000