The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 standard error deviates between computers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

ria7777

3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  09:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
dear origin team!

I would like to fit several data points with error and direct weighting. However, I get different results than a friend of mine using the same data set a.nd fitting parameters. Even if I fit the data in her graph, I get the same values for intercept and slope, but significantly different values for standard errors. My friend uses origin 8.
(both graphs are attached)
How could this be? Which values are "true"?
Thanks in advance!!

Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 9.0.0
Operating System: Windows 7
http://www.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/graphs incl fitting.xlsx

matthew@originlab.com

73 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  09:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I'm unable to open the attachments, would you mind sending them to us at tech@originlab.com

One quick thing to check would be the option to "Use Reduced Chi-Sqr" under the Advanced tab of the Non-Linear Fit dialog. By default this option is checked, un-checking it will not affect the values of the fit, but will affect the standard errors.

Matthew
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

ria7777

3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  12:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi!

Thanks for answering that quickly! This tick was indeed the "problem". What exactly does it mean, when it is ticked?
In your opinion, should I use the higher or the lower values for the standard deviation?

Thanks again!

P.S. I just sent the data per Email. Thanks for the offer!
Go to Top of Page

matthew@originlab.com

73 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  1:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Try reading through these threads:

http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6819

http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18412

Essentially, reduced Chi-Sqr divided the Chi-Sqr by degrees of Freedom. This means reduced Chi-Sqr values can be compared easily to those of models with a different number of degrees of freedom.

Matthew
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

ria7777

3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  2:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey!

Thanks a lot for your help! It's a lot clearer now.

Cheers,
Maria
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000