The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Square root function does not work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Vesnog

Turkey
6 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  07:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 8 and Service Release 0:
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Hello everyone,

My purpose is to take the square root of a column and I use Set Column Values box in order to do so. However, after I write the function and set recalculate mode to automatic no entry is displayed in the target column. The column that I take the square root of consists of tiny complex numbers by the way ( i is used to denote the imaginary part). What may be causing the problem and what is the possible remedy? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

meili_yang

103 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  09:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Origin 8 should support complex numbers. Open column properties, set Format to be Numeric, Data Type to be Complex(16).

Origin 9 has default complex functions when you set column value. I couldn't find one in Origin 8. So you might need to use some programming to do complex calculations. Here is some instruction:
http://wiki.originlab.com/~originla/ltwiki/index.php?title=LabTalk:ImSqrt_%28function%29

Let me know how it works.

Regards,

Meili
OriginLab

Edited by - meili_yang on 05/23/2013 10:21:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Vesnog

Turkey
6 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  10:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the reply. When I changed the formatting to "numeric" from "text and numeric" and changed the data type to "complex" some of the issues got solved. However the real square root function does not display the complex part of the square root and hence I cannot retrieve some important information. I am not that familiar with OriginPro by the way.
Go to Top of Page

meili_yang

103 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  12:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Try this:
http://ocwiki.originlab.com/index.php?title=OriginC:Sqrt_%28global_function%29#Examples

quote:
Originally posted by Vesnog

Thanks for the reply. When I changed the formatting to "numeric" from "text and numeric" and changed the data type to "complex" some of the issues got solved. However the real square root function does not display the complex part of the square root and hence I cannot retrieve some important information. I am not that familiar with OriginPro by the way.

Meili
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

meili_yang

103 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  12:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
And this may also help:
http://www.originlab.com/pdfs/nagcl07/manual/pdf/a02/a02_intro.pdf

quote:

Meili
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Vesnog

Turkey
6 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  1:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well thanks but I am not proficient at programming much. Do you have any other suggestion?
Go to Top of Page

meili_yang

103 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  2:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry I don't know how to do that without programming in Origin 8.0. You might try Excel. Or use F(x) functions from Set Column Values in Origin 8.6 or upper version.

quote:

Well thanks but I am not proficient at programming much. Do you have any other suggestion?

Meili
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000