The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Histograms and 3D plotting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

combsdj

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  8:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi

I am working with a data set where I am collecting signal responses at time intervals (every 5 seconds) for 20 minutes across multiple samples.

I have this data in an origin worksheet where the time values are in the the first column as the "x" variable, and the signal values for multiple samples (between 20-40, depending on the experiment) are in 20-40 other columns, as "y" values.

What I would like to do is to create a histogram for each row of data (showing what the signal "population" looks like at each 5 second time point).

Ideally, I would then plot this 2D histogram data (signal vs. frequency) against the time in some kind of 3D graph. I'm thinking a contour surface type plot, where time is on the x-axis, signal is on the y-axis, and the frequency values from the histogram are coded on the z-axis with a heat map.

I suspect I need to create a matrix from the worksheet data and/or from a histogram of the worksheet data, which will then allow me to make the 3d plot. However, so far, when I try and generate histograms from the plot menu, Origin does the histograms down the columns instead of across the rows.

Can you give me any suggestions on how to make the 3D plot I desire?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My attempts so far have been using Origin 8.1 on Windows 7. I also have access to Origin 9 (student edition) at home on Windows 8.

-D

Dave

JessieWoo

China
46 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  04:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Dave,
Would you please try first transposing data to put the data in columns (copy and paste transpose)? Then you can use the transposed data to perform frequency counts (Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: Frequency Counts).

About the 3D plot, I am not sure what data you are going to put in y axis, as there are multiple y (signal values) for each x (time). So I suggest you create the XYZ datasets (in any form of XYZ columns, virtual matrix, or matrix), then you can use Origin to generate a 3D surface.

If you still have trouble generating the 3D plot, you can send me you data and briefly describe what data you are going to put in XYZ axes or send me a graph sample, so I can see what I can do for you. You can follow the instruction below to send us file.
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support&pid=752

Best Regard,
Jessie
Originlab Corp.
Go to Top of Page

combsdj

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2013 :  10:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the 3D plot, I would like to put the time values on x since each sample is measured at the same time point. I would then put the signal values along y. Then I would put the frequency data along z to indicate how given signal values are populated by the sample members at each point in time. I agree that a matrix seems necessary to do this, but I don't have a lot of experience with Origin matrices.

I tried using the "frequency counts" function, and that definitely gave me the frequency data that I'm looking for, although it would be nice to control the bins.

However, this function seems like it can only process a single column of data at a time. It would be great if I could process the whole set of 20-40 samples (columns) at once, and get the frequency data for each column in a single worksheet, rather than having to run it 20-40 times and generate 20-40 worksheets that I then have to piece back together.

The "2D frequency counts" function doesn't appear to this and instead wants to work with frequency across x and y, rather than multiple independent y columns.

I imagine there's some kind of script based solution to this, but I don't have a lot of experience in that dept.

-D

Dave
Go to Top of Page

JessieWoo

China
46 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  12:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Dave,

The frequency count function supports processing multiple columns at the same time. You can first select the columns you need then select from menu “Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: Frequency Counts” to open the dialog, the columns will be automatically fill in the Input box. Or you can click the button (icon looks like table with red arrow in it) before the triangle button in the Input section to select the columns in the worksheet.

You can control the bins in the Computation Control section. Uncheck the box before Auto and fill whatever you like.

The frequency counts dialog also can generate the corresponding scripts. All you need to do is that configure the settings in the dialog and click the right-triangle button next to the Dialog Theme box (top-right corner), select “Generate Script” on the context menu. You can refer to the page below for more details of “freqcounts” x-function.
http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/Programming/mergedProjects/X-Function/X-Function/Freqcounts.html

For more information about the frequency counts dialog, please refer to the following page.
http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/UserGuide/The_freqcounts_Dialog_Box.html

Best Regard,
Jessie
Originlab Corp.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000