The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 decimate xyxy vector plot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

scalpa

France
Posted - 08/06/2013 :  04:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 9 pro and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:win 7

Hi everyone,

I have a vector plot in the xyxy form. I would like to plot only a fraction of the arrows. Say every 10 values of X and 10 values of Y. how should I do that ? "decimate" does not work (I get a "x coordinates of the curve are not monotonic" warning, even though the worksheet has been sorted according to x).

thanks !

best

scalpa

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  10:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Is there a reason simply running "Reduce Rows" under Worksheet menu wouldn't work for your purpose?

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

scalpa

France
Posted - 08/06/2013 :  12:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hideo,
thanks for helping.
the table is X1 Y1 X2 Y2 that I plot as a vector plot.
say both X1 and Y2 vary from 1 to 100 with steps 1 and I would like to plot them with step 5. reduce row will be right for the Xs if the table has been sorted according to Xs but not for the Ys. Am I clear ? there is probably a way around this. it is really like changing the mesh size of a grid.
best

scalpa
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2013 :  1:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi scalpa,

Say, you have A(X1), B(Y1), C(X2), D(Y2), and columns A and D change with increment 1 in "regular" way, you can extract every 10 of values at both columns, you can extract such sparse rows by Worksheet Query tool with the following condition:
A-int(A/10)*10=0 OR D-int(D/10)*10=0
Does this work as you wanted?

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

scalpa

France
Posted - 08/07/2013 :  08:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks Hideo,

it works just fine (needs an AND rather than an OR though). I didn't know about this functionality.

thanks again,

best

scalpa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000