The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Off-white color problem with exported graphics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Jon-in-Germany

6 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  08:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 9.0.0
Operating System: W7

Hi,

I have a problem with an off-white background colour on exported graphics (TIF). How do I get around this, without exporting to vector-based graphical formats such as eps? I am creating a figure for a journal, which requires a tif (or jpeg) format.

Thanks.
Jonathan

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  10:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
What software are you using to view the exported image? It may just be that software that makes the background appear off white.
Go to Top of Page

Jon-in-Germany

6 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  04:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, it is not a software or display issue. I use IrfanView to view my graphics, but if I open the figure (tif) in any other program, e.g. in MS Paint, the background colour is clearly not white. Also the same off-white is displayed on a different computer. So it must relate to the settings in Origin.

Thanks for your help.
Jon

Edited by - Jon-in-Germany on 09/17/2013 04:24:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  5:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We are not able to see this problem.

Are you running Origin in some sort of Virtual Machine?
Is this all graphs or some particular graphs?
Is it only 3D OpenGL graphs? Maybe your OpenGL video driver has a problem. Try shutting off some of the options in Tools : 3D OpenGL Settings.
Go to Top of Page

Jon-in-Germany

6 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  02:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

no, I am not running Origin on a virtual machine, nor is this is related to any specific type of graph. The graph I am exporting is just a plain and simple 2D scatter plot. Actually (and strangely), the off-white colour appears only on some of the graphs exported (from different files). More specifically, I have created a plot with some data, then I have changed the source data in the workbook to create a new plot with the same design (rather than copying the graph format), and have saved this new workbook under a different file name. I have done this several times to amass many different plots. For some reason, the off-white colour appears on some of these exports and not all, even though I changed only the source data. A retry on exporting doesn't solve this problem.

I presume it must be some kind of glitch, but I just wanted to put out this message to find out if anyone else has experienced the same problem and if they found a solution.

My solution now is to edit the off-white colour back to white using MS Paint (tedious and very unsophisticated, but it works).

Thanks anyway.
Jon
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  09:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jon,

Can you please send us an OPJ with some of the graphs where you include one that shows this problem and one that does not?

You can use the "Send File to Tech support" link on the top right of this page, then please refer to this post in your e-mail.

Thanks,

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Jon-in-Germany

6 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  11:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the offer. Actually, I think I may have discovered the cause of the problem. When I export a graphic with 256 colours, the background remains white, but reducing this to 16 colours turns the background off-white. Can't explain why this might be the case, since white should still stay white, but at least this has solved my problem.

Thanks.
Jon

Edited by - Jon-in-Germany on 09/20/2013 11:20:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  5:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jon,

Glad to hear problem is solved. We recommend setting the color depth to even higher, so that colors in your graph are correctly reproduced when published.

Please note that for TIF export, there is an option to compress the file when exporting, such as LZW compression. The compression setting is OFF by default. If you are concerned about file size, the compression helps to keep file size much smaller, and the compressed file should open just fine in any standard application that can handle TIFF.

Also please note that when exporting in raster format such as TIF, you can independently set the page width and DPI, so that even if DPI is set high, you can set the width to be what the journal requires, so the file size will be more manageable, in case your original graph page size is much larger.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000