The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to change excel file directory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Sarath_2010

22 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  09:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9.0
Operating System:Windows Vista Business -32 bit

I work with an Origin file having an imported excel file and origin graphs generated from the excel file. I want to change the directory of the original excel file so that both the origin and the excel file can be placed in any location and still work in unison. Is there a way?
To make it more clear, let me explain.
When I open the origin file, it imports the excel file from the location originally assigned. Can I change this assignment to any arbitrary location?

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  11:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

File: Import Excel doesn't support this.

But if you choose File: Open Excel to open an external excel file into Origin, you can plot it as well.

Then right click the Excel window title and choose Properties...

In the dialog, click Switch to OPJ Path upon Saving. This will save the xls file to the same folder as opj.
Then save the Origin opj.

This way, if you move OPJ and Excel to any new folder.
When you open the opj. It will always open the xls file that's in the same folder.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
Go to Top of Page

Sarath_2010

22 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  10:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I tried your suggestion and got this window which doesn't have the dialog you mentioned!

Let me know where I am going wrong.
Thanks!

Best,
Sarath.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  11:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Sarath,

I am not sure what may be the cause. I can see the excel menus and toolbars which means you did open the excel file, instead of imported it in Origin. But the dialog you showed is for Origin workbook instead of Excel workbook opened in Origin.

Just want to confirm if these are your steps?
Start a new Origin project.
Choose File: Open Excel to open the xls file again.
Right click the Excel window title and choose Properties...

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

Sarath_2010

22 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  08:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Snow,

I did exactly the same as you mentioned. Please see the long name in the properties window. Let me know if you have a fix.

Best,
Sarath.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Sarath,

Could you send your opj to tech@originlab.com? I am not sure what causes this.

The dialog you saw is actually for Origin workbook, instead of Excel workbook in Origin.

Thanks, Snow
OriginLab Corp.
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  2:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Snow's suggestion was to try File: Open Excel which would create an Excel sheet inside Origin. This is completely different than File Import : Excel.

If you require the File : Import Excel, there is no way for Origin to know that you have moved the Excel file. Using Origin 9.1, after opening the project you can choose File : Import : Excel again and browse to select the new location of the file and check the "Show Options Dialog" box. "1st File Import Mode" must be "Replace Existing Data". Note that this is no possible in versions prior to 9.1.
Go to Top of Page

Sarath_2010

22 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2013 :  02:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I have realized where I was going wrong.
After file:open excel, I was right clicking on the excel window title in the project explorer and hence was getting the origin workbook dialog. When I right click on the excel window itself, I got the dialog Snow Li had mentioned. Foolish me!
Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
Sarath.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  10:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Sarath,

Thank you for updating us on your findings.

I think we should fix it so choosing Properties from excel window in Project Explorer should also open the Workbook Properties dialog.

I created jira for our developer to fix it to avoid such confusion.

https://originlab.jira.com/browse/ORG-10152

Thanks, Snow
OriginLab Corp.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarath_2010

Hello,

I have realized where I was going wrong.
After file:open excel, I was right clicking on the excel window title in the project explorer and hence was getting the origin workbook dialog. When I right click on the excel window itself, I got the dialog Snow Li had mentioned. Foolish me!
Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
Sarath.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000