The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Multi-Step Fit-and-Plot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

BryanK

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  5:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.0-9.0
Operating System: Windows 7

Hello users,
I am new to the Origin forum and the software, but as a scientist who was long-overdue for an Excel-switch I am really enjoying it so far.

I have a problem because I am not well-versed in Origin's features. I have learned enough to plot the picture I have attached, but require a mulit-step data analysis that is mostly manually improvised right now.

This is what I need to do:
- take the average (or intercept of a linear fit) for each plateau of T and use each as a new data point
- do the same with each Voltage plateau at the identical data range - in the time scale (x-axis)
- make a scatter plot of the T-plateau-points on the x and the V-plateau-points on the y. Take this slope. (14 points on this picture)

Problem is right now the regional data selection tool is dragged by hand, meaning I don't have the same range for T and V plateaus. Also, I am essentially typing the fitted points again into new columns to make the scatter.

Can anybody suggest a "clean" strategy for this type of analysis? I expect to do this numerous times with more data. Thank you kindly,

Bryan

PS - While I am not against macros, I would prefer to learn about Origin's features before trying to automate my work.

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  3:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Bryan,

Should be better ways, but here is a way:

1) Convert the T values to rescale it comparable to V (say, T'=T*100) so that both can be plotted in a single layer.

2) Plot both V and T'.
3) Start Quick Fit gadget (linear). Press small triangle button, and choose "Preferences" flyout.
4) Select Report tab. Set "Output to" to "Worksheet". Click OK.
5) Locate and resize the ROI box to the first plateau.
6) Press small triangle button, choose "Change Data" flyout, and select Temp dataset, and choose "New Output" flyout.
7) For the V data, do the same operation of 6).
8) Repeat 5)-7) for the rest of the plateaus.
9) Now you have results in the Qkfit worksheet. Perform unstacking by the menu, "Worksheet; Unstack Columns"
to separate V data from T data in a new worksheet. You can make a scatter plot from this result. (Note T has been rescaled.)

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  3:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
P.S.

In the new Origin 9.1 version, there is a convenient output option which outputs the fitting results of
all curves across layers in the ROI box. This lets you not scale the second curve to fit into a single layer,
and you can avoid the repetitive steps of 6)-8) in my previous reply.
See the screenshot below.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 11/05/2013 3:51:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

BryanK

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  03:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks Hideo,

You have given me a few new tools to learn about; sounds much better than my "band-aid" solution.
9.1 also sounds like it has an interesting solution, but I doubt my workplace is due for a replacement/update any time soon.

I will try the analysis today. Best,
Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  09:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Bryan,

Just in case, you are probably aware that the linear fit results in the range of the ROI box are of the ones from the data points within that range. Therefore, yes the results are from the ROI range at most, but not the data ranges of the data points within; also due to the differences of the number of points in the range, the fit results could have different accuracy. To overcome this issue, you may try to interpolate the curves to have the same number of points within the range.

--Hideo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000