The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Boltzmann Fit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

bur2000

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  03:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
In Origin 8.6 the following function is used for Boltzmann Fit:

y = A2 + (A1-A2)/(1 + exp((x-x0)/dx))

I never heard about this function in connection with Boltzmann. Actually, this function is what is generally called Boltzmann:

y = A2 + (A1-A2)/(1 + exp(-E/k*x))

Both functions are sigmoidal, but it's not possible to create the exact same curve with both of them.

I assume the Origin Boltzmann Fit returns the inflection point = x0 of the curve but has no physical meaning? And the "real" Boltzmann returns the activation energy = E? Is there any specific reason why Origin uses this special function instead of normal Boltzmann?

Edited by - bur2000 on 12/09/2013 04:01:37 AM

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  12:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
[quote][i]Originally posted by bur2000

> Both functions are sigmoidal...
> Is there any specific reason why Origin uses this special function instead of normal Boltzmann?

You have cited:
(1) y = A2 + (A1-A2)/(1 + exp((x-x0)/dx))  (in Origin)
(2) y = A2 + (A1-A2)/(1 + exp(-E/k*x))   (the function you called "real" Boltzmann)
Your (2) is not sigmoidal. Though physical Boltzmann function usually regards the temperature as the independent variable, the sigmoidal version should regard the T as a parameter, and E is the independent variable. (I guess that this kind of interpretation may be more common in the Boltzmann machine in the machine learning - x as the mere input, y as the output.).)
Therefore, it should be expressed as:
(2)' y(E) = A2 + (A1-A2)/(1 + exp(-E/k*T))
Origin as a general-purpose software, the formula has taken a more general form, I think, such as introducing the offsets of x and y. So, as k*T = -dx, you can get the temperature from Origin's formula by T=-dx/k .
Of course, k is the Boltzmann constant in physics, but can have various different meanings in other applications.

I'm not a physicist, and this is just what I thought.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

P.S. When you fit your data with Boltzmann in Origin, if you need to set e.g., x0 to 0 as in your model, you can fix the parameter to 0 by entering 0 to the Value field, and turning ON the "Fixed" check box in the Parameter tab in NLFit tool.

P.P.S. You can define a derived parameter T in the Boltzmann's function definition in the Fitting Function Organizer (even though this is a built-in function) such as T=-dx/1.38E-23 .

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 12/11/2013 1:20:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

bur2000

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  03:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your reply, that makes sense to me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000