The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 one problem about origin 7
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

findwey

Japan
7 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  12:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
recently i changed from origin 6.1 to 7. one of the new functions of origin 7 is that it can import *.spc files. but all of the x and y data are contained in one column.then if i use origin 6.1 to open this file, i cann't find the value for x axis.i want to konw how to extract the x value. thanks a lot!

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  09:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Origin 7 stores the X information from SPC files in the column, and uses the information when creating a plot, for instance. In 7, the X information can be viewed by double-clicking on the black triangle in the header of the Y column to bring up a dialog that displays all the information that was available in the SPC file. Earlier versions cannot read this information.

If you select the Y column with the SPC data and then use the menu item "View->Show X Column", an X column will be added to the left of the Y column. You can then save the project and reopen it for use in ver 6.1

Easwar
OriginLab.
Go to Top of Page

findwey

Japan
7 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  04:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
thank you for your help! and i noticed the black triangle. but when i selected the column(it was set as Y), the "show X column" was gray.it cann't be applied. i am confused.I am looking for your suggestions. thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  08:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I suspect your SPC file is such that the EvenX Initial Value and EvenX Increment are both 1. You can check this by double-clicking on the black triangle. For SPC files of this type, there is a bug - the View->Show X menu item is not available if the Y column with the SPC data is the very first column in your worksheet.

This bug may get resolved in the next service release. For now, try this workaround:
1> Open a new worksheet
2> Change the A col to type Y and fill in some number in the first row
3> Drag-and-drop your SPC file onto the worksheet - Col B will have your SPC data
4> Highlight Col B and use the menu command View->Show X Column. This will add an X column (named col C) to the left of B, and that will have the X information.
5> Delete col A.
You can now save the project and reopen in 6.1.

For SPC files that have x increments not equal to 1, this problem does not exist.

Easwar
OriginLab.
Go to Top of Page

findwey

Japan
7 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  10:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
thanks for your suggestions. I did as you described, but it still didn't work.I paste the information of the spc file as below:

EvenX Initial Value:397.335144042969
EvenX Increment:1.9288112809433

header info:

[MainHeader]
FileName = D:\data\IR\VAPOR.SPC
Instrument technique code = 0
Number of points in the file (if not XYXY) = 2077
Floating X coordinate of first point = 397.335144042969
Floating X coordinate of last point = 4401.54736328125
Integer number of subfiles (1 if not TMULTI) = 1
Type of X axis units = 1
Type of Y axis units = 2
Type of Z axis units = 1
Date/Time = 07/19/1994 19:50:00:000
Resolution = 4. cm-1
Source instrument =
Peak point number for interferograms (0=not known) = 0
spare =
comment =
X axis label = Wavenumber (cm-1)
Y axis label = Absorbance
Z axis label = Arbitrary
File Modification Flags =
Method/program/data filename =
Z subfile increment = 1
Number of planes for 4D with W dimension (0=normal) = 0
W plane increment =
Type of W axis units =

[SubHeader]
Subfile Index = 1
Located column Name = B
Subfile's starting Z value = 1
Subfile's ending Z value = 1
Number of subfile points for TXYXYS type =
number of co-added scans or 0 (for collect) = 1
Waxis value =

[Log Text]

i wish to see the service package of the bug soon, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  10:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

What version of Origin do you have?
I think the problem you are experiencing was a bug in the 7 release version, and has been fixed in the SR1 patch.

Easwar
OriginLab.
Go to Top of Page

findwey

Japan
7 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
i am using origin 7.0 SR0, how can i get the SR1 patch? thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  11:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
http://www.originlab.com/www/support/techdirectories.asp?typeid=patches

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

findwey

Japan
7 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2002 :  10:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I got it, thanks a lot!

quote:

http://www.originlab.com/www/support/techdirectories.asp?typeid=patches

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2002 :  3:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Once you get SR1 going, just drag-and-drop the SPC file onto the gray area of the Origin interface (outside of any window). This will then create a new worksheet with just one Y column with the SPC data in it. You can then right away do the menu command "View->Show X Column" to create your X column.

Easwar
OriginLab.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000