The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 wildcards for ODCB import
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

carsten

Switzerland
78 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2002 :  09:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Is it possible to use wildcards (*,?) when import data via ODBC import method? That is, importing all ABC* records what'ever the fourth letter is.

Thanks for helping

H.Steen

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  4:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am using ODBC from another program, but I think the ODBC syntax should be the same: Use % as you use * in your example, please note that you can also include text after the %-character (example ABCD%KLM will search all strings starting with ABCD and ending with KLM, in between there can be zero,one or several characters.) I am not sure if there is some equivalent to the ? search option (except for my example above that will return all results of ABCD?KLM, however it will also return the string ABCDXXKLM so it is not the same) .

Helge

PS. The % is a special character in LabTalk so I am note sure how the syntax should be in a program (if ODBC works from LabTalk, of course)
DS.

Edited by - H.Steen on 07/05/2002 16:33:13
Go to Top of Page

carsten

Switzerland
78 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  01:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I've tried this character (%) as a wildcard but it does not work. Also, I tried (?) without any success. Is the syntax ( the way to do this and type of character ) determined by Origin or is it determined by Origin?

Carsten
Go to Top of Page

larry

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  11:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

The ODBC import does not support query with wildcard currentlly. Actually, it only supports =, > and < as operators in the where clause.
The wildcard query support has been considered and will be added soon. the wildcard will be using "%".

Larry

Edited by - larry on 07/18/2002 11:29:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

H.Steen

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2002 :  08:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the update, while you are waiting for the update try the following : It might be possible, to write a query in the database application using a wildcard and select this query as the table source in Origin. It works from Access, but I am not sure if it works from all other database applications.(Remember that in Access you use the * as wildcards and not the ODBC equivalent %).

Helge
Go to Top of Page

carsten

Switzerland
78 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  02:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks Helge for your assistant. As you already described with the work around this is the way i do/did it. However it will be more efficient to do this from within Origin. The extension of including wildcards for ODCB import into Origin is greatly appreciate.

Carsten
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000