The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum for Programming
 LabTalk Forum
 Importing files into XYXY books, name restrictions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  04:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9
Operating System: Windows 7

Hello,

First of all, sorry for the long post. I have several data files which I would like to import into new columns or new books, depending on each case:

1. When I measure the same parameter several times for one sample, data files have the same name and are numbered like: ABC1, ABC2, ABC3.
2. When I measure another sample, file name changes.

In the end, my files look like:

ABC1
ABC2
ABC3
DEF1
DEF2
(...)

I would like to import to new columns those which have the same file name, and to new books those with different file names. In the end, it would be like:

Book 1: XY columns for ABC1, ABC2 and ABC3
Book 2: XY columns for DEF1 and DEF2

These would be XY XY books. Some time ago I asked the same question for XYYY workbooks and this was the reply, in case it can help:
dlgfile gr:=*.asc mu:=1;
loop(ii,1,fname.GetNumTokens(CRLF))
{
strFile$ = fname.GetToken(ii,CRLF)$;
strPart$ = strFile.GetFileName()$;
strPart$ = strPart.Left(1)$;
if(exist(%(strPart$))==2)
{
win -a %(strPart$);
newsheet;
impasc fname:=strFile$ options.FileStruct.NumericSeparator:=0 options.Names.FNameToBk:=0;
}
else
{
newbook name:=%(strPart$) option:=lsname;
impasc fname:=%(strFile$) options.FileStruct.NumericSeparator:=0 options.Names.FNameToBk:=0;
}
}

Afterwards, I would like to plot those recently imported files. I asked how to do something like this here, where the reply was:
string fns; 
dlgfile g:=*.txt m:=1 f:=fns$ t:="Select CV data" init:="F:\" ;

int n = fns.GetNumTokens(CRLF); //Gets the info from those files
loop(ii,1,n)
{
file$ = fns.GetToken(ii,CRLF)$;
impasc fname:=file$ // IMPORT JUST ONE FILE

//(impasc options here)

// NOW PLOT
plotxy iy:=(1,2) plot:=200 ogl:=[<new>];
} // Next file

I am trying really hard to understand the whole code. I would like to know:

1. Does
win -a %(strPart$)
require both conditions to be met?

2. What
means (mostly the ==2 part).

3. Why should newsheet be there if what I want are new columns? Should I still use newsheet and specify new columns in impasc options? What difference would it make if it was newbook?

4. How to modify if and else. I believe the loop for plotting needs to be in both commands. I am familiar with impasc options, so I could perform changes here if needed.

5. About plotting, is there any way to specify the different XY ranges? I can't set them to ((1,2),(3,4), (...)) since there aren't always the same number of XY sets.

Thank you kindly. I know it was a lot to read, so I really appreciate you taking the time for it.

Edited by - Clairekun on 05/29/2014 04:48:16 AM

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  09:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

To import to XYXY books:

//Script Start
dlgfile gr:=*.asc mu:=1;
{
strPart$ = strPart.Left(1)$;
{
win -a %(strPart$);
impasc fname:=strFile$ options.sparklines:=0 options.ImpMode:=1 options.FileStruct.NumericSeparator:=0 options.Names.FNameToBk:=0 options.Names.FNameToSht:=0;
}
else
{
wks.name$ = %(strPart$);
impasc fname:=%(strFile$) options.sparklines:=0 options.FileStruct.NumericSeparator:=0 options.Names.FNameToBk:=0;
}

wks.col$(wks.ncols - 1).type = 4;
wks.col$(wks.ncols).type = 1;
}
//Script End

You want to plot all XYXYs in the same workbook to the same graph window or separate ones?

Edited by - lkb0221 on 05/29/2014 09:48:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  09:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
1). win -a %(strPart$) means to activate the window named by the string variable strPart$.

2). exist(%(strPart$)) means to test if something called by the string variable strPart$ exists. If it is a workbook/worksheet, will return value 2.

3). See the above script for how to import to new columns. (options.ImpMode:=1)

4). Not sure what do you mean...

5). You can use the following script:
// Script Start
worksheet -s 0 0 0 0; // highlight all the columns in the current worksheet
worksheet -p 200; // plot the highlighted columns as a grouped line plot.
// Script End

Edited by - lkb0221 on 05/29/2014 09:58:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  10:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you. I tried it and I get the following error:

Error: value 4 is missing a variable name

If I remove those 2 lines, all files get imported to new columns, although correctly.

Question 4 referred mainly to plot code but, now that I read it, I'm not that sure it makes sense. I want to plot in the same graph those XY sets which belong to the same workbook, and in different graphs those belonging to different ones.
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  11:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

The error is caused by those two wks.col.type commands?
I cannot reproduce the error. Maybe you can send me some data files to run the test.

Or, you can change the column type in the plotting part as following:

//Script Start
//Make sure only wanted workbooks are left in the current folder
window -c Book1; //delete workbook "Book1"

//Loop through all workbooks in the current folder
document -ef W
{
for (int ii = 1; (ii+1) <= wks.ncols; ii = ii+2) // Change columns to XYXY
{
wks.col$(ii).type = 4;
wks.col$(ii+1).type = 1;
}
}
//Script End

Edited by - lkb0221 on 05/29/2014 11:37:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ok I created 3 data files, called Way14, Way15 and Way20, setting stpart.left to 4 letters.

1. Origin creates an empty 2-column workbook called Way1 and the script stops, showing the following error:

Error: value import\Way14.txt is missing a variable name
#Command Error!

2. If I rerun the script on that same created workbook, only the first file is imported and another error appears:

#User Abort!

The same file keeps importing to new columns if I rerun the script.

The script I used is:

//Script Start
dlgfile gr:=*.txt mu:=1;
{
strPart$ = strPart.Left(4)$;
{
win -a %(strPart$);
impasc fname:=strFile$ options.sparklines:=0 options.ImpMode:=1 options.FileStruct.NumericSeparator:=0 options.Names.FNameToBk:=0 options.Names.FNameToSht:=0;
}
else
{
wks.name$ = %(strPart$);
impasc fname:=%(strFile$) options.sparklines:=0 options.FileStruct.NumericSeparator:=0 options.Names.FNameToBk:=0;
}

//Loop through all workbooks in the current folder
document -ef W
{
for (int ii = 1; (ii+1) <= wks.ncols; ii = ii+2) // Change columns to XYXY
{
wks.col$(ii).type = 4;
wks.col$(ii+1).type = 1;
}
}
//Script End

If I omit the looping part of the script:

- Result 1 if there is no workbook with the short name "Way1"
- All Way1x files are imported to new columns if there is a workbook with the short name "Way1" (either created by the first run or manually). There is a new empty workbook created, with the name Way2. Error:

Error: value import\Way20.txt is missing a variable name
#Command Error!

- Running the script for a third time, once Way1 is created, data files imported and there is a blank workbook called Way2, results in the import of way20.txt correclty.

Edited by - Clairekun on 06/02/2014 08:11:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  09:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I think the problem is you forget to close the import loop.
Simply add a } before plotting loop (doc loop) should fix the problem.

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  09:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I noticed right after I wrote this, but the results are the same :(
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  09:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Would you mind sending these three txt files to <tech@originlab.com> so I can have a try?
I cannot reproduce the error with simple fake txt files I created with those names...

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  10:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for your help, this is now solved.

In case anyone has the same problem:

Make sure the folder path your data files are stored in does not contain any spaces, or strFile.GetFileName()$ will go crazy and the script will stop, showing errors.

For example:

- C:\Users\User1\My data\sample.txt ---> Error will appear ("data\filename.txt is missing a variable name")
- C:\Users\User1\Mydata\sample.txt ---> Script runs smoothly

Edited by - Clairekun on 06/04/2014 10:23:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

cdrozdowski111

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  7:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Try this:

You can use directories with spaces in the name!

In your calls to the impasc function, wrap %(strFile$) in double quotes:

impasc fname:="%(strFile$)" options.FileStruct.NumericSeparator:=0 options.Names.FNameToBk:=0;

I copy/pasted your script (including Zheng's } fix). Then I created a directory with three fake data files:

C:\My Test\Way14.txt
C:\My Test\Way15.txt
C:\My Test\Way20.txt

The script didn't blow up after adding the double quotes.

Edited by - cdrozdowski111 on 06/04/2014 7:23:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  02:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Oh wow, thank you! That was really useful!

I believe I'll save the script with double quotes. I assume it will work if there are no spaces, too, so it's better like this.

Thanks again!

One last thing: if I wanted to import csv files, how could I do it? Because if I change impasc to impcsv and set firstmode and mode to 1, it still imports same-name files to new books.

Edited by - Clairekun on 06/05/2014 02:22:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

cdrozdowski111

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  06:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Here is one option to import both *.txt and *.csv files. It can import both in the same script run.

1) Change
dlgfile gr:=*.txt mu:=1;
to
dlgfile gr:="*.txt; *.csv;" mu:=1;

2) For BOTH of your calls to the impasc function, add the following parameters to the call:

options.Miscellaneous.Qualifier:=1 options.Miscellaneous.RemoveQuotes:=1

Based on a quick test of simple, numeric data-only CSV files, it appears to work correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  06:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
My csv files are not data-only, so I'm afraid I will need to have 2 different scripts. In my csv, data starts at line 18, so the import script would be:

if ( exist(%(strPart$)) == 2)
{
win -a %(strPart$);
impcsv fname:=strFile$ options.FirstMode:=1 options.Mode:=1 options.Partial.Partial:=1 options.Partial.Firstsample:=18;
}
else
{
wks.name$ = %(strPart$);
impcsv fname:="%(strFile$)" options.Partial.Partial:=1 options.Partial.Firstsample:=18;
}

This imports all data files correctly, but in different workbooks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000