The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Difficulty plotting grouped chart: pls help!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Jacobian

6 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  6:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello there!

Please I am trying to plot a grouped column chart using origin 8 but I am having some difficulties. My data looks like this:

I am expecting to have a graph that looks like the attached with error bars. Please, guide me step by step on how to realize this. How can I group the data on the worksheet to plot the graph?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Jaco.

(Please note: difficulty posting file; will post separately!)

Edited by - Jacobian on 06/03/2014 6:27:12 PM

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  04:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jaco,

1. You can use the Import Wizard tool to import your data.
1) Highlight and copy your data (on the forum page).
2) Select File: Import: Import Wizard in the menu to open the dialog.
3) In the Source page choose Clipboard. Then click Next button.
4) In the Header Lines page, set as the following image, then click twice Next button.

5) In the Data Columns page, set as the following image.

(Note: a character between the Y data and the error can not be identified, and be shown as ?. So I choose Other and enter? in the textbox.)
Set Number of columns to 9, and click Apply button. Then click Finish button.

6) In the worksheet, you will find the LongName is not in the corresponding columns. Please rearrange them.
And highlight all columns, right-click and choose Set As: X YYr
Then you will find the dataset as this image:

2. Highlight all columns, select Plot: Columns/Bars: Column in the main menu. Then you would get the grouped columns graph.

If you want to custom the column of them please refer to the customizing Grouped Plots:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Customize-GroupPlot

Thanks
Jacqueline
Originlab

Edited by - JacquelineHe on 06/03/2014 04:53:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jacobian

6 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  07:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Jacqueline,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. It is quite comprehensible and I sincerely appreciate it. The 'Import wizard - Header lines' screen was completed with success but on clicking the next button (twice), I received the error message 'File c:/... does not seem to consist of columns of ASCII date'. Then I clicked ok and the 'Import wizard - Data Columns' screen was displayed though without any dataset under the column headers. Please what should I do to proceed or correct this error message? Without using the import wizard option, can I manually add columns on the workbook and input all my data directly to plot the column graph? Thanks in advance for your invaluable contribution.

Kind regards,

Jaco
Go to Top of Page

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  03:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jaco,

I am sorry I am not confirm the problem of Import wizard.

You can manually add columns on the workbook and copy the datasets in it. And arrange the columns as the image of the worksheet I last post.

Then create the Columns graph.

Thanks
Jacqueline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000