The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Abundance vs depth Graph
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Pelagos

France
2 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  11:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver 9. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: Wind 8

Hello everyone !

I have a hard time trying to obtain on precise type of graph. Maybe you could help me?

I study variations of species abundance vs depth.
I have Depth as X colomn, and relative abundance of spacies in many Y colomn. I wish I could obtain a graph showing all the different histograms together, same scale, versus depth, with the name of each variables link to the axis, including, if possible, drop lines (colors are not necessary), like this one :

http://www.seillevalley.com/Assets/SalonnesPollen.gif

Do you know how I could obtain such a graph in Origin ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 06/12/2014 :  3:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Pelagos,

Graph one dataset as a Line Plot. Select the line, and Rt-click to open the Plot Details box. Add drop lines to your chart, and click Okay. Save this chart as a template to plot the rest of your data. Plot each dataset into a separate chart.

When all your data is plotted, select the Merge tool from the Graph toolbar to merge your charts into a single graph. Choose to place them into a single row with 0% separation. Open dialog boxes for each axis to hide the axis titles and make the chart less busy. Select each plot title to size, orient and position them to your liking.

I hope this works for you.

DrBob
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  3:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Before Saving template, you can also choose Graph: Exchange X-Y Axes first so depth is vertical and abundance is horizontal.

Highlight all Y data and plot with this template. They will all be plotted in one layer.

click the 3rd button on Graphs toolbar (Extract to Layers) button.
In the dialog that opens, choose 1 row and N columns (the number of Y columns).
You can choose Horizontal Gap to be 0.
You will get the graph. You can modify axis on the right most layer to show axis and tick labels on the right.

If you want all layers have shared X axis. You need to go to Graph: Layer Management dialog. Highlight all layers other than layer1. Go to Link tab and link all to Layer1. And set X Axis Link to be Stright 1:1. Units to be % of Linked Layer. Click Apply button on the tab first and then click OK to close the dialog.

Do other adjustment as needed.

Thanks, Snow

Go to Top of Page

Pelagos

France
2 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  04:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks, it helps a lot.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  10:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry that I didn't recognize in our Stack Plot dialog, we do have Horizontal option.

So the easiest way is to select all data you want to plot and choose Plot: Multi-Curve: Stack...
In the dialog, set Stack Direction to Horizontal.

I will exchange xy for all layers.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000