The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Basic Graphing Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

BryanK

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  07:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 9.0
Operating System: Windows 7

Hello,
I have two questions while making some basic plots in Origin. I was hoping someone my have the answers for me.

1) How do I change the symbol for all datasets in PlotDetails at once? I have 10 datasets and 3 different layers (30 datasets) and I need to change the symbol for all. Each set of 10 will have the same symbol (i.e. circle, square, and triangle).

2) In custom legend I could not find the @ symbol for this: the legend needs to be the comment line. Not the comment line corresponding to the y-axis data though! Each worksheet of data has the legend name in col.A(x1) which is neither the x or y axis of this graph.

Any help would be much-appreciated. Happy graphing,
Bryan

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  09:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

1). You can group them in Layer Contents dialog, and them in Plot Details, Group tab, set Symbol Type increment to be None.

2). Right click the legend and select legend: Update Legend... , and in legendupdate dialog, reconstruct as you wanted.
but it should be the Y columns comments by default. not sure what's happened in your side, maybe wks data structure related.

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

BryanK

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  08:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your response Zheng,

Number 1 would have taken me a long time to find.

As for number 2, you are correct. I am getting the Y axis comment line by default. The problem is I don't want this comment line. I would like to know if there is syntax for direct the legend to the comment line of another, otherwise unrelated, column in the same worksheet.

Cheers,
Bryan
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  10:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

There is no auto way to do this.
Please try the following:
1). Right click the comment(or long name, or else) cell you want to show on the legend, and select Copy .
2). Double click the legend to enable edit mode.
3). Delete the original text part (for example, %(1))
4). Right click and select Paste Link. (Still in edit mode)
5). Click somewhere else to update the change.

For syntax method:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/ref/Legend-Substitution-Notation#Worksheet_Cell_Access
For example:
%(2, @WT, D, L) ==> the long name from column D, in the source worksheet of the 2nd data plot.

Zheng
OriginLab

Edited by - lkb0221 on 07/01/2014 11:53:08 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000