The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Need help on LogNormal function fitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

davis_wolf

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2014 :  3:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:Origin 9.0

Guys can you help me with the following problem in fitting of LogNormal function? I'm an amateur and totally crazy about this right now...

I need to fit a histogram with LogNormal function showing on WIKI like this:

but the function Origin offers me is like this:

I tried to set y0=0 and A=1, but the fitting result shows the standard deviation w is way bigger than real situation....it's not right....it's like this:

Can body teach me how to fit the histogram right with the Lognormal function I want?

MANY THANKS!!!

Edited by - davis_wolf on 08/20/2014 3:09:27 PM

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 08/20/2014 :  10:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Davis,

In the upcoming Origin version, there is a tool Distribution Fit which can be used to perform distribution fit. It can output the LogNormal as a distribution directly.

Currently, you can plot a histogram, then double-click it to open the Plot Details dialog. Go to the Data tab, select LogNormal for the Type in the Distribution Curve part. If you want to see the bin data, you can check the Add Distribution Curves check box, and then click Go button to go to the Bin Worksheet. In the Bin Worksheet, the parameters are in the Comment cell of col(Lognormal).

Originlab Technical Service Team

Edited by - Shirley_GZ on 08/20/2014 10:21:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

davis_wolf

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2014 :  09:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shirley_GZ

Hi Davis,

In the upcoming Origin version, there is a tool Distribution Fit which can be used to perform distribution fit. It can output the LogNormal as a distribution directly.
Currently, you can plot a histogram, then double-click it to open the Plot Details dialog. Go to the Data tab, select LogNormal for the Type in the Distribution Curve part. If you want to see the bin data, you can check the Add Distribution Curves check box....

Thank you Shirley! That really helps a lot and now I've got the histogram with proper fitting curve!

But another problem is that now the mean value seems right, but the Standard Deviation doesn't...you might need to take a look at the picture below, the ln SD=1.027348670751, which means SD=2.7936. But the data range on X axis is just 0 to 0.015, how can the Standard Deviation be so big?

Sincerely looking forward to your help

Sincerely looking forward to your help
Go to Top of Page

Shirley_GZ

China
Posted - 08/26/2014 :  03:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

1. Actually, the ln SD is w, no need calculate exp(ln SD) again.

2. About why the SD is so big, please see below example,
I assume that the minimum is 1E-5, ln(1e-5)= -11.51292546497, and maximum is 0.015, ln(0.015)= -4.1997050778799. ln(0.015)- ln(1e-5)= 7.31322. So the ln SD=1.027348670751 is possible.

3. ln SD is just a label, not the ln value of SD. So SD shouldn't be calculated by the exp(ln SD) . If you want to calculate it, please use the below equation.
SD=exp(a+0.5*b^2)*sqrt(exp(b^2)-1)) where a=ln(xc), b=ω

Originlab Technical Service Team

Edited by - Shirley_GZ on 07/08/2015 12:07:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000