The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Selecting Points
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

jwrudn

USA
Posted - 08/28/2014 :  5:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release: 9.1.0 (64 bit) SR 3
Operating System: Windows 7

I am making scatter plots on one graph from several (7) different worksheets and fitting a quadratic through each set. When I click on a point (in each set), all the points in the set are selected, I go to Analysis and fit the quadratic. This has worked fine for 6 of the seven plots. On the 7th (150 MPa on the legend in the attached graph), when I click on a point, I select only that point rather than all the points in the set. Clicking on a points in the other sets still selects all the points. What have I changed about the one set? What am I doing?http://www.originlab.com/ftp/forum_and_kbase/Images/JWROriginGraph.pdf

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  06:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I am not sure whether the 7th plot does not group with other plots, so that other plots can not be actived when you select the 7th plot .

You can select Graph: Layer Contents in the menu to open the dialog.
In the right panel, it will show all the plots in this layer.
If the datasets are part of a data plot group, the dataset names are prefaced with a gn notation.
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/LayerN-Dialog#Right_Panel

If the 7th plot is not grouped with other plots, please group them together.
Please refer to these help page about grouping data plots:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/LayerN-Dialog#Group_and_Ungroup_Buttons
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Group-Data-Plots

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

Edited by - JacquelineHe on 08/29/2014 07:05:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

jwrudn

USA
Posted - 08/29/2014 :  10:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your help. Grouping the data sets would certainly have been an easier way to create the plot.

But my question was not clear. The data sets are not grouped. If I click on a point in one of the data sets(e.g., the green triangles, 20 MPa) all the points in that set are selected (i.e. all the green triangles). Then I use Analysis to fit a quadratic through these points which produces the green line. But when I click on a dark yellow square, one of the three points in the 8th data set, 150 MPa (not the 7th as I said in the original question), only that single point, not all three, is selected. So I am unable to uses Analysis to fit a quadratic through these three points. Somehow I did something different with this data set, but I do not know what. I hope this is clearer.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  11:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Suppose all points of 150MPa are from same dataset, could you choose Format: Plot Properties... menu to open the Plot Details dialog.
Then expand all plot node on left panel.
Check under the 150MPa plot, are there subnodes such as 1, 2, 3.

Origin supports customizing single points. Maybe somehow you created such single points
Usually for ungrouped plot, click once on a plot will select that set, click again will select a single point.
For grouped plot, click once will select the whole group. Click once again will select one plot. Click once again will select a single point.
See http://originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/CustomizePlot-GeneralTip#Selecting_whole_grouped_plots.2F_single_plot.2F_single_data_point

BTW, to fit all 7 datasets with same function, you don't need to do each one by one. You can open the fitting tool.
Then in Input Data node, you can click the > button and choose add all plots in active page to fit them all at once.

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks,
Snow

Edited by - snowli on 08/29/2014 11:32:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

jwrudn

USA
Posted - 08/29/2014 :  1:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the suggestion, but there were no sub-nodes under the 150 MPa plot group. If I double-click on a point in this group, it does introduce a sub node. Clicking on one point still does not select all three.

Thanks for the tip about fitting multiple data sets with the same type of function. This certainly would have been easier.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  2:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Are those 3 data points from same column?

Could send your opj to tech@originlab.com so we can look more into it?

Thanks, Snow

Go to Top of Page

jwrudn

USA
Posted - 08/29/2014 :  3:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Yes, points are from the same column. I have sent the opj file. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I got your opj and everything seems fine.

I am only guessing that it may be when you click on the last data plot, the reverse color isn't that obvious so you may think you didn't click on it and clicked again. And since this is the 2nd single click for ungrouped plot, the single point is selected.

Thanks, Snow

Edited by - snowli on 08/29/2014 5:31:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

jwrudn

USA
Posted - 08/29/2014 :  5:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks. I suspected it was something simple (and stupid) like that.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Our selecting indicator only show a dock in the center so it may not be obvious in such case.

Regarding to your original user story, I emailed you back with some tips which I feel can save you some time.

Thanks, Snow

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000