The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Problems with NLCF graphics on MacBookPro @ 2880 x
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Triskeliongirl

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2014 :  6:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin Pro 64bit 9.1.0 SR3 b275 (academic)
Operating System: Virtual Windows 7 enterprise, on a MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, using VMare Fusion 6.0.3, with 2/8 Processor cores and 4/16 GB memory allocated to the virtual operating system.

Whenever I try to perform a non linear curve fit (NLCF), the box at the top where you need to go through and enter choices regarding Function Selection, Data Selection, Fitting Parameters, etc., is too compressed to be able to view and select the choices. I believe the problem is the high resolution retina display on the MacBook Pro, since when I try to work at native resolution (2880 x 1800) I have this problem. If I reduce the screen resolution to 1366 x 768 I can work, but is there a more elegant solution that lets me take advantage of the native resolution on the Mac Display? Can I assume that even if I had Origin running in boot camp I would have the same problem? I would consider upgrading to newer versions of VMware or windows if you think they would solve the problem, or make Origin run better in general on a Mac.

Eileen M. Lafer
Professor of Biochemistry
UTHSCSA

cdrozdowski111

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This isn't a problem with Origin so much as Windows on the whole dealing with the really high resolution of Retina displays. If you Google variations on "Retina Display Scaling" or "Retina Windows" or "Retina Windows 7" or "Retina Windows 8.1" you will find that there is a vast amount of information about the issue with some suggestions that mostly indicate that you're not going to get Retina-like quality out of Windows and reduced resolution in Windows is the only viable option. It would appear that this is the case whether it be VM software or Boot Camp.

One thing to look out for are the various advices about using Windows Display Control Panel and setting the display scaling to 150%-200% depending on the version of Windows installed. But even then Windows apparently doesn't do the greatest job and Microsoft software itself doesn't handle it's own feature well. Yay!!!

I'm a long time Mac user myself (17 years) and am really, really torn about updating to a MacBook Pro because of this issue. I've spent many hours researching and soul searching as I live on a students budget.

I suspect it's a matter of working with Display Scaling and accepting Windows limitations until Microsoft get's around to doing it right. That or buying a dedicated Windows PC which isn't the most appealing solution for a Mac user.

Edited by - cdrozdowski111 on 09/14/2014 09:26:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Triskeliongirl

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  5:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you for the informative reply. As a workaround, I found that if I plug it into my Apple 27"Cinema Display (2556 x 1440) it is OK, so then I tried setting the display to that on the virtual windows side without an external display and its OK too.

I did read here that windows 8.1 solves the display problem, but do you know if this is correct: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/26/4465442/windows-8-1-will-finally-add-retina-display-support

I used windows for many years and recently switched to the mac book pro. There is no way I would go back, but glad I found a work around for origin since I really didn't want to give it up. My daughter uses MatLab which has a native mac version, but I really didn't want to have to learn a new software package, but you are young so that could be a good option for you. I do wish Origin would write a native Mac version!

Eileen M. Lafer
UTHSCSA

Edited by - Triskeliongirl on 09/14/2014 5:14:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

cdrozdowski111

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  5:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Eileen,

Actually you have helped me as well in saying Windows looks good in your external monitor when on your MBP Retina. I was wondering about that.

Uh, I'm not so young :) I'm actually a 46-year-old senior chemistry major. As I type this I am memorizing everything about the 20 common amino acids for a morning biochem exam.
Go to Top of Page

Triskeliongirl

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  5:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I should add that for *most things* windows 7 also looks great on my macbook pro 15" retina display. I did select the box to increase text and icons by 150% though. The only problem I have encountered is data fitting with origin, which is why I thought it was a bug in origin that it couldn't display correctly with the higher resolution display. My son is running windows 8.1 on his macbook pro 15" retina, and using it for app development. He has no display problems at all, although he doesn't use origin. He loves this solution in that he develops for multiple platforms, and the mac seems really well suited for that. BUT, my son also says that he thinks the origin developers should be able to fix the problem I am having directly in origin.

If I were to do it over though, I would have first installed windows with bootcamp, and then used that copy of windows to make a virtual windows w VMware. That way when I need more resources, for example when fitting very large files with lots of data, I could boot directly into windows, but when I want the convenience of swiping between OSs, I could use the virtual windows. Someday I will do this, but trying to decide if I should do it w win8.1 or win7. If win8.1 has better support for retina, I may go that route, although then I need to learn how to use win 8 when I am trying to migrate away from windows.... I only use windows for the few scientific instrument specific programs that require it.

Eileen M. Lafer
UTHSCSA

Edited by - Triskeliongirl on 09/14/2014 5:38:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

minimax

348 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  06:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Eileen,

quote:
is too compressed to be able to view and select the choices.

Do you mean the image below? (in which the height of the top panel is too narrow)

We will look into this issue.

PS: If it is what you met, you can click the up-triangle button to close the bottom panel and then re-size the window longer to show more contents.

But if you mean some other thing, it would be appreciated you could show us a screenshot for it.

Max
OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Triskeliongirl

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  09:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Max. Yes, this solves the problem. Thank you so much! I should have just contacted you directly I guess, since I do have support for my origin subscription.

Since I have your attention i will tell you about another 'bug'. When I open a file a former lab member created in origin 8.5, I could not see all the other worksheets that i knew were there from printouts in her lab notebook. She found that for me to see them she had to download a trial version of 8.X, open all the windows, and then save the file in v. 9.1. I am also having problems with the fitting file she used (user defined equation). When she fit the data in origin 8.5 using global fitting she could see the normal check boxes for shared parameters and for fixed parameters. But when I try to use the same equation in origin 9.1, the check box for shared parameters is gone. Are these known issues when switching from origin 8.x to 9.x? Are there any other easier workarounds, or is it possible to get my origin 9 license to work on origin 8 until I am finished working with these datasets?

Please reply to me privately. You can use my work email (Lafer@uthscsa.edu), which is how my origin license and support is registered. When I registered for the forum it rejected that email so I registered with a personal one. Could you also please ask the sales dept. to contact me with a quote for renewing my license and support is up for renewal in Oct. I had been thinking about moving to MatLab, but I think I should just be taking better advantage of my support agreement. I would also love some guidance on best practices/known issues when running Origin on a mac (although I run it on windows at work and mac at home so 8/9 issues are happening in native windows.)

Eileen M. Lafer
UTHSCSA
Go to Top of Page

minimax

348 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  11:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Eileen,

I have sent an email to your account.

Max
OriginLab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  09:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Eileen,

Here is a webpage about running Origin on a Mac.
http://originlab.com/index.aspx?go=support&pid=1059

There are instructions, tips, and known Issues sections.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000