The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Selective Graphing Statistics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

BryanK

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  3:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 9.0
Operating System: Windows 7

Hello everyone,
I need some help understanding the Regional Data Selector & Mask Tool I think:
I have a large spread of data captured by instruments, half of which are useful. (please see attached image)
I intend on masking the useless points (red); I then wanted to select all the black (useful) points, which are not necessarily in order;
I then wanted to run Statistical Analysis on the black data cluster as one set; then I could use the Min(x,Y),Max(x,y),Mean to estimate the data spread in both x and y directions.

When I try this with the Regional Data Selector, it seems to also select red, masked data, as well as black data, but also as six different data blocks. I guess I am either using the wrong tools or the wrong procedure.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you, Bryan

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 10/13/2014 :  06:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Bryan

From your graph I can see you have masked some data and select 5 ranges of data in a small range.

Do you want to calculate statistics of the 7 independent clusters of black points in your graph? Or combine the 7 part as one single dataset and calculate statistics?

Would you mind sending your project file to tech@originlab.com so that we can identify the problem?

Echo
OriginLab Corp
Go to Top of Page

BryanK

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  08:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your response!
Yes. My overall goal is an analysis of the slope (without the unstable red data). Each of the seven black clusters are the slope's "points". I need to calculate the x and y error of this slope (as you can imagine from the wide spread of these clusters)!

That being said, my original question was my analysing only ONE of the seven clusters. I used the Regional Data Selector to draw a circle around the top cluster, but I think I selected red points, as well as 5 small subgroups instead of my intended one selected cluster.

I'll try to send the file. Perhaps I'm approaching the problem the wrong way.
Bryan

quote:
Originally posted by Echo_Chu

Hi, Bryan

From your graph I can see you have masked some data and select 5 ranges of data in a small range.

Do you want to calculate statistics of the 7 independent clusters of black points in your graph? Or combine the 7 part as one single dataset and calculate statistics?

Would you mind sending your project file to tech@originlab.com so that we can identify the problem?

Echo
OriginLab Corp

Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  09:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Bryan,

We have a cluster gadget which may help in this case.

1. With the graph window active, you can choose Gadgets: Cluster.
2. In the dialog that opens, you can choose the Shape to be Circle on ROI Box tab.
3. On Output To tab, you can check Append to Worksheet if you want to have results in worksheet. U can uncheck Script Windows, Results Log.
4. On Calculation tab, u can check Quantities to Compute.
5. Click OK to close the dialog.
--> A circle ROI (region of interest will show in the graph). Also a Cluster Gadget window shows.
6. Resize and drag the ROI to your region of interest.
--> The Cluster Gadget's Innter Points tab will show statistics with all points in the ROI.
7. You can click 1st button on Cluster Gadgets window to Output Statistics Report and click 2nd button to go to the report.
8. Then move to another region of interest and output report again.

Note: Since we only support circle shape or recentagle shape, it may cover some points you don't want. You can use Mask tool as before to mask those points in ROI. Then the statistics will updates.

If your data is dense, we have Zoom and Pan tools (hotkey Z+mouse wheel)) so you can see details of graph and it will help you to location points more precisely.

Let us know if it works.

Thanks, Snow
OriginLab Corp.

Edited by - snowli on 10/13/2014 09:30:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

BryanK

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  08:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your response, Snow.
This has been a really useful Gadget to play with! This will definitely help me to analyse the stats on each data cluster in the slope.

I have a few questions about the gadget though:
- how can I get the same stats on the x-axis as well as y-axis?
(ideally directly without inverting my graph)

- Will Clusters (quantity and settings) save to templates?
- Is there a URL with code references to control Cluster?)

Thanks for the tip.
Bryan
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  5:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Bryan,

Sorry that we don't support statistics in x direction yet. I have added a jira to add statistics in x direction in Quantities to Compute in future version.
https://originlab.jira.com/browse/ORG-12071

For now, as a workaround, you can choose Edit: Copy Data
Then go to a new workbook and paste the data in.

Then highlight the X column and choose Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: Statistics on Columns to get statistics in X column.
Or you can actually choose both X and Y column and do statistics on both X and Y columns. There are more quantites to choose in Statistics on columns dialog.

And yes, you can save a graph template with the cluster gadget and plot graph with cluster gadget in the future.

Thanks, Snow
OriginLab Corp.

Edited by - snowli on 10/15/2014 10:48:01 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000